Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bitten by the Blogging Bug

Yes!! Have hopefully overcome writers' block
Taken the effort, created my blog!!

If this sounds like an outburst of spontaneity to you, I can well assure you it isn't. When I was wrestling with a long bout of writers' block, nearly six months ago, I vowed to myself that I'd overcome it by creating my own blog, and in that moment, this verse popped into my mind. Sadly, it turned out to be a form of "soda bottle enthusiasm" and the bubble burst. The plan didn't materialize till today. Why, you might ask? Oh, the ubiquitous tests, exams, projects, deadlines... But then two factors led me to take the initiative finally.

I realized that no matter what happens tests and examinations will always be there, in some form or the other. It simply is not a good enough reason to avoid taking an initiative. Secondly I recognized the fact that I have simply been out of touch with this world. In my conversation with Dad a few hours ago, I was just ashamed to admit that I was unaware of things happening across the globe - because I have spent all my time living in my own little complacent sphere of life. As I lay on bed, tossing around, trying to get some sleep, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to zap myself out of my own little world. And so, *sigh*, I took the plunge. I believe using this blog as a platform to express my views and opinions will help me stay connected with the real world. Also I will use it as a medium of relaxation from the stressful life that university is. This is the story of how I got bitten by the blogging bug :)

OK, now why is this blog called "From the Ashes"? A few years ago, when I still had the childlike spontaneity in me to write almost every week, I used the pseudonym "Phoenix". There were no specific reasons for choosing the name, except for the fact that I wanted a pseudonym as grand as my Dad's which is Obelix :) Having debated between Papyrus, Parchment, Pegasus and Phoenix, I finally chose Phoenix.

As one grows older, one hopefully becomes wiser. And with wisdom, comes the philosophical meaning of things in life. Phoenix, the mythical bird, renowned for its immortality, rises from its own ashes, a totally new bird, each time it dies. Philosophically, it acknowledges the fact that each day is a new day. The past is dead and cannot affect the future in any way. The only thing we are in control of is today. Carpe diem!! Seize the day! :)

Well, I think I have written quite a bit for my first post. I feel much more optimistic, knowing that I have taken an initiative, finally. Really, once we take the first step, it's almost as if the battle is half won. One of my favorite poems, The Oyster echoes the very same thought:

"What couldn’t we do
If we’d only begin
With some of the things
That get under our skin."
Watch this space for more!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Kudos molu and welcome back...Phoenix whichever version you are :) I am sure your blogs are gonna be a hit. And I am proud to be the first to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sruthi, I am happy to see that you are taking some time off your study schedule to give vent to your intellectual creativity. Keep writing as it provides a platform for you to pen down your thoughts on various issues. Like a phoenix I am sure you will derive strength from within and face any adversity and emerge as a successful person in your life. May God bless you in all you endeavours. You are a PHOENIX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first blogpost. Just a tip from my several failed previous blogging attempts and my now successful-till-date attempt. Never write as a commitment, write as an expression, whenever you feel like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sruths

    Way to go Phoenix.I liked what you wrote.Yes it is very important to keep yourself connected with the world and all exciting things that are taking place around us.When we tend to communicate our opinions in such platforms we will think and analyse issues with an open mind and write responsibly.

    So let me say three cheers to your maiden effort and I will certainly look forward to your other postings.

    ReplyDelete

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bitten by the Blogging Bug

Yes!! Have hopefully overcome writers' block
Taken the effort, created my blog!!

If this sounds like an outburst of spontaneity to you, I can well assure you it isn't. When I was wrestling with a long bout of writers' block, nearly six months ago, I vowed to myself that I'd overcome it by creating my own blog, and in that moment, this verse popped into my mind. Sadly, it turned out to be a form of "soda bottle enthusiasm" and the bubble burst. The plan didn't materialize till today. Why, you might ask? Oh, the ubiquitous tests, exams, projects, deadlines... But then two factors led me to take the initiative finally.

I realized that no matter what happens tests and examinations will always be there, in some form or the other. It simply is not a good enough reason to avoid taking an initiative. Secondly I recognized the fact that I have simply been out of touch with this world. In my conversation with Dad a few hours ago, I was just ashamed to admit that I was unaware of things happening across the globe - because I have spent all my time living in my own little complacent sphere of life. As I lay on bed, tossing around, trying to get some sleep, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to zap myself out of my own little world. And so, *sigh*, I took the plunge. I believe using this blog as a platform to express my views and opinions will help me stay connected with the real world. Also I will use it as a medium of relaxation from the stressful life that university is. This is the story of how I got bitten by the blogging bug :)

OK, now why is this blog called "From the Ashes"? A few years ago, when I still had the childlike spontaneity in me to write almost every week, I used the pseudonym "Phoenix". There were no specific reasons for choosing the name, except for the fact that I wanted a pseudonym as grand as my Dad's which is Obelix :) Having debated between Papyrus, Parchment, Pegasus and Phoenix, I finally chose Phoenix.

As one grows older, one hopefully becomes wiser. And with wisdom, comes the philosophical meaning of things in life. Phoenix, the mythical bird, renowned for its immortality, rises from its own ashes, a totally new bird, each time it dies. Philosophically, it acknowledges the fact that each day is a new day. The past is dead and cannot affect the future in any way. The only thing we are in control of is today. Carpe diem!! Seize the day! :)

Well, I think I have written quite a bit for my first post. I feel much more optimistic, knowing that I have taken an initiative, finally. Really, once we take the first step, it's almost as if the battle is half won. One of my favorite poems, The Oyster echoes the very same thought:

"What couldn’t we do
If we’d only begin
With some of the things
That get under our skin."
Watch this space for more!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Kudos molu and welcome back...Phoenix whichever version you are :) I am sure your blogs are gonna be a hit. And I am proud to be the first to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sruthi, I am happy to see that you are taking some time off your study schedule to give vent to your intellectual creativity. Keep writing as it provides a platform for you to pen down your thoughts on various issues. Like a phoenix I am sure you will derive strength from within and face any adversity and emerge as a successful person in your life. May God bless you in all you endeavours. You are a PHOENIX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first blogpost. Just a tip from my several failed previous blogging attempts and my now successful-till-date attempt. Never write as a commitment, write as an expression, whenever you feel like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sruths

    Way to go Phoenix.I liked what you wrote.Yes it is very important to keep yourself connected with the world and all exciting things that are taking place around us.When we tend to communicate our opinions in such platforms we will think and analyse issues with an open mind and write responsibly.

    So let me say three cheers to your maiden effort and I will certainly look forward to your other postings.

    ReplyDelete