Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fighting Exam Blues

Well, here it is again- that season of stress, tension and trauma- the semester exams have begun! After a not-too-good first exam, I found myself depressed and so decided to blog, since writing always makes me feel better! :) So here goes...

I spent the first two hours following the exam, blaming fate and then wallowing in self pity. Then I decided to call my brother and speak to him. And what he said made things seem slightly better. And although it doesn't improve my chances of scoring better at the exam, I certainly hope I have learnt not to worry about things not in my control. My parents have always emphasized the importance of working hard in my academic career. For them, that's always the key point. The end result of whether I get good grades or not doesn't matter to them. (although it does matter to me!) So my parents would be mighty disappointed if I had fooled around and not worked hard. Hence, I have done my best and all that I can do now is surrender the rest to the One Above.

Also, grades are not the only things in life. As my brother told me, "Never grade yourself on the basis of grades." Hence, am just trying to constantly remind myself that it's important to work hard, and then forget about the rest. Which brings us to the issue of faith. As I mentioned in a previous post, what is life without faith?

A good family friend, Sudha Aunty, had once gifted us a book titled "Oh mind, relax please!", written by Swami Sukhabodhananda. This is one of my personal favorites from the bookshelf and I constantly refer to it when in need of inspiration. Aunty had written a beautiful quote inside the book and today my mom reminded me of the very same quote-
"Happy moment -Praise God
Difficult moment- Seek God
Quiet moment- Worship God
Painful moment-Trust God
Every moment- Thank God."

Now that I'm back to my cheerful old self, let me hit the books again for the rest of the exams! Jiayou everyone!! :)



2 comments:

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fighting Exam Blues

Well, here it is again- that season of stress, tension and trauma- the semester exams have begun! After a not-too-good first exam, I found myself depressed and so decided to blog, since writing always makes me feel better! :) So here goes...

I spent the first two hours following the exam, blaming fate and then wallowing in self pity. Then I decided to call my brother and speak to him. And what he said made things seem slightly better. And although it doesn't improve my chances of scoring better at the exam, I certainly hope I have learnt not to worry about things not in my control. My parents have always emphasized the importance of working hard in my academic career. For them, that's always the key point. The end result of whether I get good grades or not doesn't matter to them. (although it does matter to me!) So my parents would be mighty disappointed if I had fooled around and not worked hard. Hence, I have done my best and all that I can do now is surrender the rest to the One Above.

Also, grades are not the only things in life. As my brother told me, "Never grade yourself on the basis of grades." Hence, am just trying to constantly remind myself that it's important to work hard, and then forget about the rest. Which brings us to the issue of faith. As I mentioned in a previous post, what is life without faith?

A good family friend, Sudha Aunty, had once gifted us a book titled "Oh mind, relax please!", written by Swami Sukhabodhananda. This is one of my personal favorites from the bookshelf and I constantly refer to it when in need of inspiration. Aunty had written a beautiful quote inside the book and today my mom reminded me of the very same quote-
"Happy moment -Praise God
Difficult moment- Seek God
Quiet moment- Worship God
Painful moment-Trust God
Every moment- Thank God."

Now that I'm back to my cheerful old self, let me hit the books again for the rest of the exams! Jiayou everyone!! :)



2 comments: