Thursday, April 15, 2010

From Tears to Pearls

Hmm... With the exams showing their ugly faces just around the corner, it looks like I am in quite a philosophical mood. The numerous incomplete assignments, the unread lecture notes, the unfinished tutorials all seem to be piling up in front of me. Just as I am about to panic, (which is very normal and routine these days), I remember a small anecdote narrated in Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. The protagonist Amir, whose deepest desire is to become a novelist, writes a story which he reads out to his friend Hassan. The story narrated by him revolves around a man who was given a magic wish. Each teardrop that fell from his eyes would be turned into a pearl. At the end of the story, the man is left with blood on his hands and a huge mountain of pearls beside him- He has killed his own wife and his tears are converted to pearls. When Amir looks to Hassan for his reaction, the latter just shrugs his shoulder and asks him in all innocence, "Why couldn't he just smell an onion?"
I just loved the movie (am yet to read the book), but I am sure that this is one scene I will never forget. Things in life are so simple. It's just that we human beings, with our egos, greed, desires and jealousies complicate things further...

P.S Happy Vishu everyone!! :)

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, am waiting to lay my hands on the book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Vishu molu...I am sure u will taste success...besides what is success if u get it easily..."The woods are lovley dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karthipaa!!! Thank you so much!! :) :) You really are an inspiration for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krishnaa yeah i remember this scene from the movie:)!!im lookin forward to more posts:)!!!as always good one:)!miss yu girlie:(

    ReplyDelete

Thursday, April 15, 2010

From Tears to Pearls

Hmm... With the exams showing their ugly faces just around the corner, it looks like I am in quite a philosophical mood. The numerous incomplete assignments, the unread lecture notes, the unfinished tutorials all seem to be piling up in front of me. Just as I am about to panic, (which is very normal and routine these days), I remember a small anecdote narrated in Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. The protagonist Amir, whose deepest desire is to become a novelist, writes a story which he reads out to his friend Hassan. The story narrated by him revolves around a man who was given a magic wish. Each teardrop that fell from his eyes would be turned into a pearl. At the end of the story, the man is left with blood on his hands and a huge mountain of pearls beside him- He has killed his own wife and his tears are converted to pearls. When Amir looks to Hassan for his reaction, the latter just shrugs his shoulder and asks him in all innocence, "Why couldn't he just smell an onion?"
I just loved the movie (am yet to read the book), but I am sure that this is one scene I will never forget. Things in life are so simple. It's just that we human beings, with our egos, greed, desires and jealousies complicate things further...

P.S Happy Vishu everyone!! :)

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, am waiting to lay my hands on the book!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Vishu molu...I am sure u will taste success...besides what is success if u get it easily..."The woods are lovley dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karthipaa!!! Thank you so much!! :) :) You really are an inspiration for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krishnaa yeah i remember this scene from the movie:)!!im lookin forward to more posts:)!!!as always good one:)!miss yu girlie:(

    ReplyDelete