Friday, April 16, 2010

Rosewood Beads

Warning: This post is bound to be pretty philosophical :)

Having been initiated into a mantra by my guru, Ammachi, lovingly known across the globe as the Hugging Saint, I got myself a rosewood rosary for the purpose of helping me chant my mantra. I was able to get the rosary blessed by Ammachi and now I wear it around my neck whenever I am not chanting the mantra. Last night before hitting the sack, I was just reminiscing the magical moments I was fortunate enough to experience at Ammachi's devi bhava darshan and took out my rosary to feel Her touch. I couldn't help but admire the 108 beads strung around the center bead, called the guru bead. When in the process of japa, you should start chanting from the guru bead and move across all the other beads till you hit the guru bead again.

After I finished my chanting, I looked at the rosary for a while and it helped me recognize two important aspects of life. Each rosewood bead has its own place on the rosary. Likewise, each of us has a distinct place on the Rosary of Life. No one can take away that place from us. Secondly, all the beads on the necklace follow the guru bead. Likewise, when one follows a spiritual force, peace of mind can easily be attained. I am not saying that each of us should follow a guru or a spiritual master. All that needs to be done is... follow faith.

After all, what is life without faith?

5 comments:

  1. And also one more thing, all the beads remain connected, which is the important part. Even if on is broken, the whole chain collapses. So each and every one is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, everything happens to a plan and there is a place and purpose for everyone.
    So just do ur karma as best as u can, follow dharma and leave the rest. Take the result as prasad. With this attitude you will never feel stressed in life.

    Molu, do not wear the japa mala. Wear only the rudraksha. The japa mala is meant for japa only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay-- I was under the impression that the japa mala could be worn when one isn't using it. Thank you for clarifying!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each one of us (however insignificant)has a role to play in this 'drama of life'. How best we play our role(s)depends entirely on one's attitude towards life.

    ReplyDelete

Friday, April 16, 2010

Rosewood Beads

Warning: This post is bound to be pretty philosophical :)

Having been initiated into a mantra by my guru, Ammachi, lovingly known across the globe as the Hugging Saint, I got myself a rosewood rosary for the purpose of helping me chant my mantra. I was able to get the rosary blessed by Ammachi and now I wear it around my neck whenever I am not chanting the mantra. Last night before hitting the sack, I was just reminiscing the magical moments I was fortunate enough to experience at Ammachi's devi bhava darshan and took out my rosary to feel Her touch. I couldn't help but admire the 108 beads strung around the center bead, called the guru bead. When in the process of japa, you should start chanting from the guru bead and move across all the other beads till you hit the guru bead again.

After I finished my chanting, I looked at the rosary for a while and it helped me recognize two important aspects of life. Each rosewood bead has its own place on the rosary. Likewise, each of us has a distinct place on the Rosary of Life. No one can take away that place from us. Secondly, all the beads on the necklace follow the guru bead. Likewise, when one follows a spiritual force, peace of mind can easily be attained. I am not saying that each of us should follow a guru or a spiritual master. All that needs to be done is... follow faith.

After all, what is life without faith?

5 comments:

  1. And also one more thing, all the beads remain connected, which is the important part. Even if on is broken, the whole chain collapses. So each and every one is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, everything happens to a plan and there is a place and purpose for everyone.
    So just do ur karma as best as u can, follow dharma and leave the rest. Take the result as prasad. With this attitude you will never feel stressed in life.

    Molu, do not wear the japa mala. Wear only the rudraksha. The japa mala is meant for japa only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay-- I was under the impression that the japa mala could be worn when one isn't using it. Thank you for clarifying!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each one of us (however insignificant)has a role to play in this 'drama of life'. How best we play our role(s)depends entirely on one's attitude towards life.

    ReplyDelete