Thursday, July 8, 2010

Waltzing into the World of Work

Well, it's been a long time! I haven't blogged for nearly two months!! So before my blog fades to rust, I decided to intervene finally and brush away the cobwebs. It's ironical that I started this blog on a whim, in the middle of a huge muddle- my semester exams; and chose to ignore it during a major chunk of my summer holidays!
I reached home in Dubai in early May. I spent my May days with mom and dad, pestering my mom to get us a dog. (Mom, if you're reading this, I am still heartbroken over Henry.) Henry, the perfect dog whom we
nearly got, whose eyes melted your heart, who seemed to grin almost like a human...
But I digress.
Towards the end of May, I got an opportunity to do an internship with Deloitte & Touche M.E at their Sharjah branch. And, thus, I took my first step into the world of work. On the first day at work, I was introduced to all my colleagues and the Deloitte audit procedure was explained in detail to me. I was completely awed by the professional ethics, thoroughness of work and simply being a part of the Deloitte team! The next day, a mentor was assigned to me and I was told to proceed to a client's office. I slowly began to put into practice what I have learnt so far at high school and college. Some tasks were simple enough and yet, I found myself making errors. Imagine my embarrassment when my mentor told me that I hadn't punched in the working papers to be filed properly! And thus, I learnt that there is a proper method for doing anything, even if it is just punching working papers to be filed. Most important of all was understanding the huge world of difference between what is taught at college and real practices in the industry. But I shall not bore you with those details. (Partly because I'm still trying to understand!!)
What I find so fascinating about Deloitte is the diversity of the workforce. On a typical day, one can catch snatches of conversations in Arabic, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and even Tagalog! I learnt a few Tagalog words from my Filipino mentor and was utterly surprised when she spoke to me in broken Malayalam!
Most of my co workers at Deloitte refer to each other by their first names or their initials. Being probably the youngest at the workplace, I found it quite awkward to do the same. Not surprisingly, my conversations were peppered with thank yous and pleases to a point that I began to wonder if I was being exceedingly polite. A senior at work told me once," Kochu valare formal aa." (This girl is very formal). I guess, I'll learn as I travel further!!
They say "Experience is a great teacher. It teaches you after conducting the test". Never has this been truer than in my case! My mother must have drilled it into me a hundred times: Never drink your coffee when you're sitting close to the laptop! But, I learnt only the hard way.
It was a normal afternoon at work in my client's office. I was waiting for a few documents from the accountant before I could perform the test of details, so I was relatively free that day. The office bhaiyya came to give us our coffee. I thanked him and had barely taken in a sip when.... The handle of the cup broke and all the coffee seeped into my laptop! And what's worse, it wasn't even mine; Knowing that the duration of my internship was only a month, I was given a laptop belonging to a colleague who had gone on vacation! At that moment, I wished the earth would open up and swallow me. It was one of those excruciatingly embarrassing moments. A few days later when I went to the office to return a few files, I met the senior partner. He asked me, quite jovially, " I heard you gave coffee to your laptop. Is it feeling the Dubai heat too?"
Well, lessons learnt the hard way will remain etched onto one's memory forever. Apart from this unsavory episode, I thoroughly enjoyed my first waltz with work. I may just be 18 and I still have a long way to travel, but I have once again understood that perseverance, preparation and enthusiasm
never fail!

6 comments:

  1. Yep Professionalism in every act is what is the ultimate aim of every course, degree or work.
    I was actually supposed to write a book on this 10 years down the lane, but Mr.Subrato Bagchi poured cold water by authoring a bible called
    "The Professional".I have a copy.I think it should be every aspiring CEO's handbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So Mr Bagchi stole your idea? :O
    Anyway, I really liked "Go, Kiss the World!" I should try reading this one too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the philosophical missile.
    Karma yogam means doing every action with perfection without thinking about the result. Same is said by Tao and Zen. So Karma Yogam => professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it was Lord Sri Krishna who defined it originally.

    karmanye vadhika raste; Ma phaleshu kadachana; ma karma phala he tur bhuh, ma te sangoastakarmani

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that is exactly what I'm trying to achieve :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the World of Work my dear! Sure, You have a long way to go, but you are certainly headed in the right direction. Enjoyed the waltz!! Remember appa quoting GUIDANCE. You see
    G for God and U & I dance. When HE is your partner in the waltz rest assured every step will be simply mesmerizing. Keep waltzing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Waltzing into the World of Work

Well, it's been a long time! I haven't blogged for nearly two months!! So before my blog fades to rust, I decided to intervene finally and brush away the cobwebs. It's ironical that I started this blog on a whim, in the middle of a huge muddle- my semester exams; and chose to ignore it during a major chunk of my summer holidays!
I reached home in Dubai in early May. I spent my May days with mom and dad, pestering my mom to get us a dog. (Mom, if you're reading this, I am still heartbroken over Henry.) Henry, the perfect dog whom we
nearly got, whose eyes melted your heart, who seemed to grin almost like a human...
But I digress.
Towards the end of May, I got an opportunity to do an internship with Deloitte & Touche M.E at their Sharjah branch. And, thus, I took my first step into the world of work. On the first day at work, I was introduced to all my colleagues and the Deloitte audit procedure was explained in detail to me. I was completely awed by the professional ethics, thoroughness of work and simply being a part of the Deloitte team! The next day, a mentor was assigned to me and I was told to proceed to a client's office. I slowly began to put into practice what I have learnt so far at high school and college. Some tasks were simple enough and yet, I found myself making errors. Imagine my embarrassment when my mentor told me that I hadn't punched in the working papers to be filed properly! And thus, I learnt that there is a proper method for doing anything, even if it is just punching working papers to be filed. Most important of all was understanding the huge world of difference between what is taught at college and real practices in the industry. But I shall not bore you with those details. (Partly because I'm still trying to understand!!)
What I find so fascinating about Deloitte is the diversity of the workforce. On a typical day, one can catch snatches of conversations in Arabic, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil and even Tagalog! I learnt a few Tagalog words from my Filipino mentor and was utterly surprised when she spoke to me in broken Malayalam!
Most of my co workers at Deloitte refer to each other by their first names or their initials. Being probably the youngest at the workplace, I found it quite awkward to do the same. Not surprisingly, my conversations were peppered with thank yous and pleases to a point that I began to wonder if I was being exceedingly polite. A senior at work told me once," Kochu valare formal aa." (This girl is very formal). I guess, I'll learn as I travel further!!
They say "Experience is a great teacher. It teaches you after conducting the test". Never has this been truer than in my case! My mother must have drilled it into me a hundred times: Never drink your coffee when you're sitting close to the laptop! But, I learnt only the hard way.
It was a normal afternoon at work in my client's office. I was waiting for a few documents from the accountant before I could perform the test of details, so I was relatively free that day. The office bhaiyya came to give us our coffee. I thanked him and had barely taken in a sip when.... The handle of the cup broke and all the coffee seeped into my laptop! And what's worse, it wasn't even mine; Knowing that the duration of my internship was only a month, I was given a laptop belonging to a colleague who had gone on vacation! At that moment, I wished the earth would open up and swallow me. It was one of those excruciatingly embarrassing moments. A few days later when I went to the office to return a few files, I met the senior partner. He asked me, quite jovially, " I heard you gave coffee to your laptop. Is it feeling the Dubai heat too?"
Well, lessons learnt the hard way will remain etched onto one's memory forever. Apart from this unsavory episode, I thoroughly enjoyed my first waltz with work. I may just be 18 and I still have a long way to travel, but I have once again understood that perseverance, preparation and enthusiasm
never fail!

6 comments:

  1. Yep Professionalism in every act is what is the ultimate aim of every course, degree or work.
    I was actually supposed to write a book on this 10 years down the lane, but Mr.Subrato Bagchi poured cold water by authoring a bible called
    "The Professional".I have a copy.I think it should be every aspiring CEO's handbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So Mr Bagchi stole your idea? :O
    Anyway, I really liked "Go, Kiss the World!" I should try reading this one too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the philosophical missile.
    Karma yogam means doing every action with perfection without thinking about the result. Same is said by Tao and Zen. So Karma Yogam => professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it was Lord Sri Krishna who defined it originally.

    karmanye vadhika raste; Ma phaleshu kadachana; ma karma phala he tur bhuh, ma te sangoastakarmani

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that is exactly what I'm trying to achieve :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the World of Work my dear! Sure, You have a long way to go, but you are certainly headed in the right direction. Enjoyed the waltz!! Remember appa quoting GUIDANCE. You see
    G for God and U & I dance. When HE is your partner in the waltz rest assured every step will be simply mesmerizing. Keep waltzing!!

    ReplyDelete