Friday, September 3, 2010

A Tribute to Cutlet


Being an absolute "quote hanger" can definitely trigger me to blog! One morning after a particularly grueling session with macroeconomics, I decided to google up quotes on dogs while drinking my first cup of tea for the day. (Yes, I do random stuff like that). I came across this quote: "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." The moment I read this, memories of Cutlet flashed across my mind.

My parents and I spent one year in the beautiful city of Dehra Dun, right at the foothills of the mighty Himalayas. We stayed that year at the house of a senior colleague of my dad's. The only problem was that his dog also stayed in the same house. But we decided that it would be a very minor inconvenience. As time passed by, it became clear to me that Cutlet wasn't an inconvenience- she became a part and parcel of my life. In fact if someone mentioned the word "Cutlet", all that we could remember was her, not the snack! I would play with her before going to school, take her for long walks after homework and purposely irritate my mom by ordering her to jump on the bed (my dad was my co conspirator in this game). This became a part of our routine every Sunday. My dad would call for Cutlet the minute mom went to the kitchen. As soon as Cutlet would enter the room, dad would signal for her to jump on the bed. The minute she heard my mom's footsteps, she would just bounce back on the floor, knowing that mom would be angry about it. The day my dad got our first car we took her also for a ride in town. Sitting in a comic position in the rear seat along with me, as regal as a queen on her throne, she seemed to be looking down at the stray dogs on the street. It was as if she was almost human! Each moment spent with Cutlet remains etched in some distant corner of my mind.

However one incident remains crystal clear. I had a bad day at school (I don't remember why, but I guess it had something to do with being a non-Hindi speaking South Indian in a place where almost everybody spoke Hindi) and I came back home in a nasty mood. Instead of talking to Cutlet as I usually did I threw over my knapsack on the bed and started to cry. The tears soon gave way to rage and I refused to talk to anyone. I moved to the sofa and when Cutlet came towards me, I nudged her away. But a fifth grader cannot be angry for long. The anger turned to tears again... But this time, Cutlet came back to me and slowly placed her head on my lap, as if to say "All's going to be fine!" (She had never done this before to me.) Looking back I realize that apart from my mother, Cutlet was truly my first best friend.

One year passed by quickly, and we moved on from Dehra to the Kingdom of Bahrain and later to the United Arab Emirates, and now university in Singapore. It's been a total of nearly eight years so far! I don't know whether Cutlet's still there and if she is, will she be able to remember me. All I can say is that I feel blessed to have had her at some point in my life! I know she loved me unconditionally and thought the world of me, her human friend. I hope I live up to her vision. As someone erudite once said, "My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am!"

2 comments:

  1. haha once again, although you've told me alll about your dog before, its so nice reading how you put it in words!
    And I love how you've incorporated those two awesome quotes!!!:)
    Keep up the blogging!!
    (And I'm sure cutlet will remember you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, that was a nice one shruthi mol. I am sure he will remember you anytime anyway, they are such loving souls.

    ReplyDelete

Friday, September 3, 2010

A Tribute to Cutlet


Being an absolute "quote hanger" can definitely trigger me to blog! One morning after a particularly grueling session with macroeconomics, I decided to google up quotes on dogs while drinking my first cup of tea for the day. (Yes, I do random stuff like that). I came across this quote: "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." The moment I read this, memories of Cutlet flashed across my mind.

My parents and I spent one year in the beautiful city of Dehra Dun, right at the foothills of the mighty Himalayas. We stayed that year at the house of a senior colleague of my dad's. The only problem was that his dog also stayed in the same house. But we decided that it would be a very minor inconvenience. As time passed by, it became clear to me that Cutlet wasn't an inconvenience- she became a part and parcel of my life. In fact if someone mentioned the word "Cutlet", all that we could remember was her, not the snack! I would play with her before going to school, take her for long walks after homework and purposely irritate my mom by ordering her to jump on the bed (my dad was my co conspirator in this game). This became a part of our routine every Sunday. My dad would call for Cutlet the minute mom went to the kitchen. As soon as Cutlet would enter the room, dad would signal for her to jump on the bed. The minute she heard my mom's footsteps, she would just bounce back on the floor, knowing that mom would be angry about it. The day my dad got our first car we took her also for a ride in town. Sitting in a comic position in the rear seat along with me, as regal as a queen on her throne, she seemed to be looking down at the stray dogs on the street. It was as if she was almost human! Each moment spent with Cutlet remains etched in some distant corner of my mind.

However one incident remains crystal clear. I had a bad day at school (I don't remember why, but I guess it had something to do with being a non-Hindi speaking South Indian in a place where almost everybody spoke Hindi) and I came back home in a nasty mood. Instead of talking to Cutlet as I usually did I threw over my knapsack on the bed and started to cry. The tears soon gave way to rage and I refused to talk to anyone. I moved to the sofa and when Cutlet came towards me, I nudged her away. But a fifth grader cannot be angry for long. The anger turned to tears again... But this time, Cutlet came back to me and slowly placed her head on my lap, as if to say "All's going to be fine!" (She had never done this before to me.) Looking back I realize that apart from my mother, Cutlet was truly my first best friend.

One year passed by quickly, and we moved on from Dehra to the Kingdom of Bahrain and later to the United Arab Emirates, and now university in Singapore. It's been a total of nearly eight years so far! I don't know whether Cutlet's still there and if she is, will she be able to remember me. All I can say is that I feel blessed to have had her at some point in my life! I know she loved me unconditionally and thought the world of me, her human friend. I hope I live up to her vision. As someone erudite once said, "My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am!"

2 comments:

  1. haha once again, although you've told me alll about your dog before, its so nice reading how you put it in words!
    And I love how you've incorporated those two awesome quotes!!!:)
    Keep up the blogging!!
    (And I'm sure cutlet will remember you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, that was a nice one shruthi mol. I am sure he will remember you anytime anyway, they are such loving souls.

    ReplyDelete