Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bumblebee, hold on there!


It's been a kind of depressing week. Mountains of work, not making much progress. Things haven't worked out the way I wanted them to. I built magnificent castles in the air, castles with no bases whatsoever. They crashed a few days ago. I felt weak, hopeless and lost. Angry and devastated. I spent a few hours crying, moping and cursing over my fate. As a result, I achieved nothing but red eyes and a terrible headache. Lesson 1 learnt (yet again!)- there is nothing worth crying over. What has to happen will happen. There is probably a divine will behind it. Who can challenge the power of the Cosmos?

Lesson 2- Life is not meant to be spent building on expectations. Once again, I realized the essence of the Gita- "Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana, Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani". Literally translated, it means "You have a right to perform your prescribed action,but you are not entitled to the fruits of your action." I am reminded of a beautiful comparison of our roles in this universe with that of a puppet. We, as puppets, have to play our parts. But the Puppeteer alone knows when to move the puppet and how to do it.

Lesson 3- Learn to be like the bumblebee. Scientists say that the bumblebee cannot really fly because of its heavy wings. (OK, I never was a science person, so I really cannot explain this stuff, but I've heard this somewhere, so yeah...) But the bumblebee doesn't know of this fact and so it keeps trying to fly! We all have our limitations. Just ignore them and keep trying. Bumblebee, hold on there, the Puppeteer will not let go of the string!

2 comments:

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bumblebee, hold on there!


It's been a kind of depressing week. Mountains of work, not making much progress. Things haven't worked out the way I wanted them to. I built magnificent castles in the air, castles with no bases whatsoever. They crashed a few days ago. I felt weak, hopeless and lost. Angry and devastated. I spent a few hours crying, moping and cursing over my fate. As a result, I achieved nothing but red eyes and a terrible headache. Lesson 1 learnt (yet again!)- there is nothing worth crying over. What has to happen will happen. There is probably a divine will behind it. Who can challenge the power of the Cosmos?

Lesson 2- Life is not meant to be spent building on expectations. Once again, I realized the essence of the Gita- "Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana, Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani". Literally translated, it means "You have a right to perform your prescribed action,but you are not entitled to the fruits of your action." I am reminded of a beautiful comparison of our roles in this universe with that of a puppet. We, as puppets, have to play our parts. But the Puppeteer alone knows when to move the puppet and how to do it.

Lesson 3- Learn to be like the bumblebee. Scientists say that the bumblebee cannot really fly because of its heavy wings. (OK, I never was a science person, so I really cannot explain this stuff, but I've heard this somewhere, so yeah...) But the bumblebee doesn't know of this fact and so it keeps trying to fly! We all have our limitations. Just ignore them and keep trying. Bumblebee, hold on there, the Puppeteer will not let go of the string!

2 comments: