Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Chat with Sadhana


I wrote about my experience of volunteering at Isha Vidhya, a school for children predominantly from the rural background in Tamil Nadu earlier. Thanks to today's technology, I have been able to keep in touch with some of those wonderful kids. It always makes me feel optimistic and cheerful- their happiness is infectious!!

Just a few hours ago, I chatted with Sadhana, a smart little third grader who would frequently call me at home when I was back in Coimbatore. I had spoken to her aunt a few weeks earlier and she told me that Sadhana was doing very well at school. So today I congratulated her for her good academic performance. She told me that she now has a new pet- a cuckoo! Then she told me that all her friends- Sowbarnika, Srimathi, Pradeesh and Mouli are fine. I was really touched when she said that they all miss me. It was such a simple conversation, but it brought me immense joy.

Of late, I have been thinking about what exactly is the meaning of this life- Is it just a mad, mad rush for good grades, good jobs, pride, power, position? I sometimes feel disillusioned when I think of the futility of this rat race, a sense of disappointment, a nagging worry that everything will one day go. But then I remember these simple chats with Sadhana- there are certain things that do last a lifetime. Maybe, I should follow my passion for teaching- is that the meaning I'm looking for?

1 comment:

  1. The best things in life come for free and from unexpected corners. It is indeed the small things in life that add greater meaning and greater happiness than anything else.

    I think it is too early for you decide on your calling. Besides never decide things impulsively.I think it is best that you take a joy ride, accomplish whatever you want in life and then decide to follow your calling. Then you will wholeheartedly do what you really want to do !!!

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Chat with Sadhana


I wrote about my experience of volunteering at Isha Vidhya, a school for children predominantly from the rural background in Tamil Nadu earlier. Thanks to today's technology, I have been able to keep in touch with some of those wonderful kids. It always makes me feel optimistic and cheerful- their happiness is infectious!!

Just a few hours ago, I chatted with Sadhana, a smart little third grader who would frequently call me at home when I was back in Coimbatore. I had spoken to her aunt a few weeks earlier and she told me that Sadhana was doing very well at school. So today I congratulated her for her good academic performance. She told me that she now has a new pet- a cuckoo! Then she told me that all her friends- Sowbarnika, Srimathi, Pradeesh and Mouli are fine. I was really touched when she said that they all miss me. It was such a simple conversation, but it brought me immense joy.

Of late, I have been thinking about what exactly is the meaning of this life- Is it just a mad, mad rush for good grades, good jobs, pride, power, position? I sometimes feel disillusioned when I think of the futility of this rat race, a sense of disappointment, a nagging worry that everything will one day go. But then I remember these simple chats with Sadhana- there are certain things that do last a lifetime. Maybe, I should follow my passion for teaching- is that the meaning I'm looking for?

1 comment:

  1. The best things in life come for free and from unexpected corners. It is indeed the small things in life that add greater meaning and greater happiness than anything else.

    I think it is too early for you decide on your calling. Besides never decide things impulsively.I think it is best that you take a joy ride, accomplish whatever you want in life and then decide to follow your calling. Then you will wholeheartedly do what you really want to do !!!

    ReplyDelete