Monday, November 8, 2010

Dawn



Dawn. The most splendid time of the day. The glittering stars of the night slowly fade into the backdrop of the vast unconquered skies. A new day stealthily makes its way across the dark horizon. The pitch black of the sky slowly turns dark blue...purple. Slowly, it fades into pink, till the birth of a new day is marked by the sunrise, declared by the chirp of the early birds... And so it goes... dawn to dusk. Dusk to dawn... Dawn represents new hope for me. The beginning of a new day, a fresh start. Optimism and zest for life.

According to Hindu belief, dawn is brahmamuhurtha, a time of immense spiritual significance. No wonder I always found it easier to concentrate on work during those wee hours of the morning! I started this practice quite a number of years ago. Having spent nearly seven years in the Middle East, dawn for me was always marked by the call of the muezzin, calling the faithful for the fajr prayers. It's funny but this is one of the many aspects of life that I miss now.

I soon discovered that it wasn't easy to wake before the sun at a place like NUS. No matter how many alarms I kept, I always seem to sleep through them! Today was an exception. I finally beat not only the alarms but also the sun. Yayyy!! More than being able to utilize my time in a more productive manner, watching dawn made me more optimistic. Reminded me of the song "When you believe" from The Prince of Egypt. "Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill...". Looking at it from a grander level, I also think of our own insignificance in this universe. As the poet Rumi would say, "Who are we in this complicated world?".

Here's to dawn and hope! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hope and faith are two sides of a coin. Without these two manhood would cease to live in this universe. We all live with hope and every cloud has a silver lining! As some wise soul said, 'hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark'. These are the two virtues that keep us alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice words Sruthi mol. But then I think it is better we take an optimistic view of things. Lets take each step so that it makes a significant difference to atleast those people who are around us. Remember the squirrel who helped build the Ram sethu. Every bit helps !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I didn't intend to sound pessimistic. Just was contemplating on our own insignificance at the macro cosmic level. But yes, you're right of course. There is a grander purpose, over which we have no control, but that doesn't mean we stop doing what we can. :)

    ReplyDelete

Monday, November 8, 2010

Dawn



Dawn. The most splendid time of the day. The glittering stars of the night slowly fade into the backdrop of the vast unconquered skies. A new day stealthily makes its way across the dark horizon. The pitch black of the sky slowly turns dark blue...purple. Slowly, it fades into pink, till the birth of a new day is marked by the sunrise, declared by the chirp of the early birds... And so it goes... dawn to dusk. Dusk to dawn... Dawn represents new hope for me. The beginning of a new day, a fresh start. Optimism and zest for life.

According to Hindu belief, dawn is brahmamuhurtha, a time of immense spiritual significance. No wonder I always found it easier to concentrate on work during those wee hours of the morning! I started this practice quite a number of years ago. Having spent nearly seven years in the Middle East, dawn for me was always marked by the call of the muezzin, calling the faithful for the fajr prayers. It's funny but this is one of the many aspects of life that I miss now.

I soon discovered that it wasn't easy to wake before the sun at a place like NUS. No matter how many alarms I kept, I always seem to sleep through them! Today was an exception. I finally beat not only the alarms but also the sun. Yayyy!! More than being able to utilize my time in a more productive manner, watching dawn made me more optimistic. Reminded me of the song "When you believe" from The Prince of Egypt. "Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill...". Looking at it from a grander level, I also think of our own insignificance in this universe. As the poet Rumi would say, "Who are we in this complicated world?".

Here's to dawn and hope! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hope and faith are two sides of a coin. Without these two manhood would cease to live in this universe. We all live with hope and every cloud has a silver lining! As some wise soul said, 'hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark'. These are the two virtues that keep us alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice words Sruthi mol. But then I think it is better we take an optimistic view of things. Lets take each step so that it makes a significant difference to atleast those people who are around us. Remember the squirrel who helped build the Ram sethu. Every bit helps !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I didn't intend to sound pessimistic. Just was contemplating on our own insignificance at the macro cosmic level. But yes, you're right of course. There is a grander purpose, over which we have no control, but that doesn't mean we stop doing what we can. :)

    ReplyDelete