Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Temptation

It's been five days into the New Year and am trying hard to stick to my resolutions. At the end of the last year, I concluded that I had been gorging on way too many chocolates and ice creams, responsible for those extra pounds. Well, I'm not naive enough to believe that staying off these sinful items alone will help me lose weight but at least it's a start. And it's a test to see how much I can control my cravings. Gosh, is it hard!!

My parents and I drove down to Oman to welcome the New Year. Being the last day where I could treat my taste buds to that wonderful heavenly taste of chocolate, I gorged on it, all the while thinking mournfully about the very next day, when I would have to say a firm no to it. New Year's Day dawned bright and sunny, spreading the promise of a glorious 2011. I didn't think much about my resolutions, until my aunt offered me... some London Dairy ice cream. 'There's just a little bit left. Why don't you polish it off?'. It took all my resolve to say no and I fled the kitchen, thinking that if I stayed a minute longer, my resolve would melt like butter on hot toast.

Suddenly, chocolate and ice cream seemed to appear magically everywhere I went. A challenging test for my resolve. The next day we went out for lunch to celebrate my aunt and uncle's wedding anniversary. All was fine until...dessert. Fried ice cream was the most celebrated dessert item in that restaurant, so everyone was keen to sample it. And once again, I found it hard to refuse it. 'Just a little bit won't hurt', Appa coaxed me. Amma told me, 'Don't act too smart'. ('romba over aa panaadhe/jaasthi kaanikanda ketto'). A small voice inside me said, 'I have 363 days more to stick to the blessed resolution anyway. Maybe I can indulge just a teeny weeny bit'. But a stronger voice told me a resolution is a resolution and I must stick to it no matter what. I watched wistfully as they 'oohed and aahed' over the ice cream. I consoled myself with a small dish of 'Banana Toffee'. (I reminded myself that it was as sinful as chocolate and ice cream, but at least I was sticking to my resolve. So there!)

Then, just yesterday we went to Deira City Centre for a few rounds of last minute shopping before I return to university. And voila!! I just had set foot in the huge mall and I caught a whiff of yummy Häagen-Dazs ice cream. And then Baskin Robbins! I strode on, trying as hard as possible to ignore the little rebellious voice inside. As I put my mind to other matters, I found it easy to ignore that little voice. Sure, it surfaces every now and then. Even now, it's coaxing me to take 'just one little bit' from the chocolate box in the fridge. It's not a silly crash diet that I seek. It's just a question of how far I can stick to my determination. It's just a question of how I can resist temptation. I shall certainly not yield to temptation!

4 comments:

  1. Good Post Sruthi mol. I can understand your struggle.

    The key strategy behind every battle is not to struggle by confronting headon and get bruised. Remember the Bali-Sugreeva story? It is a classic example of the inner struggle. If you fight headon with your mind, it will take half of your strength and overwhelm you. What you need is street smartness by being a mere spectator(saakshi bhavam portrayed by Lord Rama).

    The mind always craves for things it is denied. What is required is not repression of your desire to ear chocolates. It is sublimation of the desire. To put it in simple terms - the more you deny choco desire, the more it will come to tempt you. The buddhi(intellect) resides right behind manas(mind). So first rationalize and impress the ill-effects of sugar upon your mind through your intellect. You will still have chocolate desire, but it will not matter anymore, since the brain smiles and says yep its good but its not good for my health and so does not matter. Watch your thoughts constantly cause the mind is a drunken monkey. It will be an interesting game. It does not matter if you fail. Play it like tennis. Not every point matters. Just say good shot when you fail and go on. You will win the match !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) very encouraging message you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KS,

    All my resolutions die a natural death the moment I enter Deira City Centre too. The first thing I notice is the smell of hot chocolate and poof! I am done...in! I must sip at least a small cup without sugar.... but bypass that? Nah! I never even try. I hate it when RP parks at P2 for it makes me load with the cuppa calories... but then again, I hate it when he doesn't either! hee...hee...hee! So much for resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha true ma'am! I have already broken it, but just once. I felt terribly guilty for sometime, although that didn't stop me from savoring each bite of the chocolate. :D
    Hopefully, I'll get back my determination soon!

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Temptation

It's been five days into the New Year and am trying hard to stick to my resolutions. At the end of the last year, I concluded that I had been gorging on way too many chocolates and ice creams, responsible for those extra pounds. Well, I'm not naive enough to believe that staying off these sinful items alone will help me lose weight but at least it's a start. And it's a test to see how much I can control my cravings. Gosh, is it hard!!

My parents and I drove down to Oman to welcome the New Year. Being the last day where I could treat my taste buds to that wonderful heavenly taste of chocolate, I gorged on it, all the while thinking mournfully about the very next day, when I would have to say a firm no to it. New Year's Day dawned bright and sunny, spreading the promise of a glorious 2011. I didn't think much about my resolutions, until my aunt offered me... some London Dairy ice cream. 'There's just a little bit left. Why don't you polish it off?'. It took all my resolve to say no and I fled the kitchen, thinking that if I stayed a minute longer, my resolve would melt like butter on hot toast.

Suddenly, chocolate and ice cream seemed to appear magically everywhere I went. A challenging test for my resolve. The next day we went out for lunch to celebrate my aunt and uncle's wedding anniversary. All was fine until...dessert. Fried ice cream was the most celebrated dessert item in that restaurant, so everyone was keen to sample it. And once again, I found it hard to refuse it. 'Just a little bit won't hurt', Appa coaxed me. Amma told me, 'Don't act too smart'. ('romba over aa panaadhe/jaasthi kaanikanda ketto'). A small voice inside me said, 'I have 363 days more to stick to the blessed resolution anyway. Maybe I can indulge just a teeny weeny bit'. But a stronger voice told me a resolution is a resolution and I must stick to it no matter what. I watched wistfully as they 'oohed and aahed' over the ice cream. I consoled myself with a small dish of 'Banana Toffee'. (I reminded myself that it was as sinful as chocolate and ice cream, but at least I was sticking to my resolve. So there!)

Then, just yesterday we went to Deira City Centre for a few rounds of last minute shopping before I return to university. And voila!! I just had set foot in the huge mall and I caught a whiff of yummy Häagen-Dazs ice cream. And then Baskin Robbins! I strode on, trying as hard as possible to ignore the little rebellious voice inside. As I put my mind to other matters, I found it easy to ignore that little voice. Sure, it surfaces every now and then. Even now, it's coaxing me to take 'just one little bit' from the chocolate box in the fridge. It's not a silly crash diet that I seek. It's just a question of how far I can stick to my determination. It's just a question of how I can resist temptation. I shall certainly not yield to temptation!

4 comments:

  1. Good Post Sruthi mol. I can understand your struggle.

    The key strategy behind every battle is not to struggle by confronting headon and get bruised. Remember the Bali-Sugreeva story? It is a classic example of the inner struggle. If you fight headon with your mind, it will take half of your strength and overwhelm you. What you need is street smartness by being a mere spectator(saakshi bhavam portrayed by Lord Rama).

    The mind always craves for things it is denied. What is required is not repression of your desire to ear chocolates. It is sublimation of the desire. To put it in simple terms - the more you deny choco desire, the more it will come to tempt you. The buddhi(intellect) resides right behind manas(mind). So first rationalize and impress the ill-effects of sugar upon your mind through your intellect. You will still have chocolate desire, but it will not matter anymore, since the brain smiles and says yep its good but its not good for my health and so does not matter. Watch your thoughts constantly cause the mind is a drunken monkey. It will be an interesting game. It does not matter if you fail. Play it like tennis. Not every point matters. Just say good shot when you fail and go on. You will win the match !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) very encouraging message you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KS,

    All my resolutions die a natural death the moment I enter Deira City Centre too. The first thing I notice is the smell of hot chocolate and poof! I am done...in! I must sip at least a small cup without sugar.... but bypass that? Nah! I never even try. I hate it when RP parks at P2 for it makes me load with the cuppa calories... but then again, I hate it when he doesn't either! hee...hee...hee! So much for resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha true ma'am! I have already broken it, but just once. I felt terribly guilty for sometime, although that didn't stop me from savoring each bite of the chocolate. :D
    Hopefully, I'll get back my determination soon!

    ReplyDelete