Friday, February 4, 2011

Birthday Resolutions

So, I just turned nineteen yesterday. And I celebrated my birthday (technically not a birthday; as my bestie Sunaina puts it, more like a 'birth anniversary') away from home. Anyway, unlike last year, where I really felt homesick, this time I actually had fun. :D

I went out shopping and took a break from the monotonous study(?) schedule at NUS. The fact that my birthday fell on the first day of the Chinese New Year seemed to make it extra special for me. So, I ushered in the Year of the Rabbit, warmed by the fact that my friends and family remembered me and prayed for me, as I grew older and hopefully wiser. Speaking of becoming wiser, I decided to take on a few birthday resolutions after a few rounds of contemplation on how I could improve myself.

Resolution #1
Wake up early! This is something I have been striving to achieve throughout my stint at NUS, but I find myself looking at the clock in exasperation every morning, having slept through the alarm yet again. I figured that this happens because I always sleep late, and not necessarily because I was 'working hard'. So I guess the way out will be to sleep early and wake up in time to see the sunrise!

Resolution #2
Spend more time in prayer. I find it odd that prayer, having been deeply etched into my daily schedule from my childhood, has slowly been fading away. I do think of my Maker often, I do try to chant my mantra whenever possible. It's just that I don't have a fixed time to do it which makes it more difficult for me to take the time off to pray. As I remember the sense of satisfaction and inner calm I derived from prayer rituals back home, I am all the more convinced that I really need to spend more time conversing with the Creator. The milkman Tevye, in 'Fiddler on the Roof', compares a person's quest to earn a livelihood with that of a fiddler on the roof- 'trying to scratch out a simple pleasant tune, without breaking his neck!'. According to Tevye, the only way to maintain one's balance is by following tradition. He declares, 'Without tradition, our lives would be as shaky as a Fiddler on the Roof'. For me, without prayer my life would be just as shaky. Ever since I can remember, my day always started with these words:'Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi, Karamuule Saraswati. Karamadhye Tu Govinda,Prabhaate Kara Darshanam.' The Sanskrit prayer invokes the blessings of the Goddesses of Wealth and Knowledge for yet another day. Lately, the prayer has been replaced by, 'What? I missed the alarm again!!!!!' So, it brings me back to resolution #1.

Resolution #3
Shy away from shyness. I do not consider myself to be an introvert, but at the same time, I take my time trying to get to know people. Sometimes, I feel I should speak more; assert my views more, voice out questions whenever there is a need to do so. I guess it's just a fear that others might perceive me to be stupid or dumb that prevents me from talking. There have been numerous occasions when things would have gone way better, if I had just spoken out. So, lesson hopefully learnt; this year I'll seize the initiative to talk!

Resolution #4
Worry less.
Hmm, worry- it's been a constant companion for me. I find that I so often lose track of precious time just worrying. Worried about the future. Worried about the past. Worried about why someone ceased speaking to me. Worried about grades. Worried about a job. Worried about how I will secure enough CCA points for an on campus accommodation next semester... and the list never ends. So I decided to put a full stop to worry this year. Okay, people who know me well will say that this is technically not possible, because worry is almost like a shadow for me. But it's worth a try!

That sums up my list of birthday resolutions. Let's see if I can stick to them. Here's to a happier, brighter, more hopeful year ahead! :)

2 comments:

  1. All the best..you know the problems....so nail them on the head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you karthi etta!! it's tough trying to stick on to my resolve because there's always a little voice trying to discourage me. But I'll persevere nevertheless!!

    ReplyDelete

Friday, February 4, 2011

Birthday Resolutions

So, I just turned nineteen yesterday. And I celebrated my birthday (technically not a birthday; as my bestie Sunaina puts it, more like a 'birth anniversary') away from home. Anyway, unlike last year, where I really felt homesick, this time I actually had fun. :D

I went out shopping and took a break from the monotonous study(?) schedule at NUS. The fact that my birthday fell on the first day of the Chinese New Year seemed to make it extra special for me. So, I ushered in the Year of the Rabbit, warmed by the fact that my friends and family remembered me and prayed for me, as I grew older and hopefully wiser. Speaking of becoming wiser, I decided to take on a few birthday resolutions after a few rounds of contemplation on how I could improve myself.

Resolution #1
Wake up early! This is something I have been striving to achieve throughout my stint at NUS, but I find myself looking at the clock in exasperation every morning, having slept through the alarm yet again. I figured that this happens because I always sleep late, and not necessarily because I was 'working hard'. So I guess the way out will be to sleep early and wake up in time to see the sunrise!

Resolution #2
Spend more time in prayer. I find it odd that prayer, having been deeply etched into my daily schedule from my childhood, has slowly been fading away. I do think of my Maker often, I do try to chant my mantra whenever possible. It's just that I don't have a fixed time to do it which makes it more difficult for me to take the time off to pray. As I remember the sense of satisfaction and inner calm I derived from prayer rituals back home, I am all the more convinced that I really need to spend more time conversing with the Creator. The milkman Tevye, in 'Fiddler on the Roof', compares a person's quest to earn a livelihood with that of a fiddler on the roof- 'trying to scratch out a simple pleasant tune, without breaking his neck!'. According to Tevye, the only way to maintain one's balance is by following tradition. He declares, 'Without tradition, our lives would be as shaky as a Fiddler on the Roof'. For me, without prayer my life would be just as shaky. Ever since I can remember, my day always started with these words:'Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi, Karamuule Saraswati. Karamadhye Tu Govinda,Prabhaate Kara Darshanam.' The Sanskrit prayer invokes the blessings of the Goddesses of Wealth and Knowledge for yet another day. Lately, the prayer has been replaced by, 'What? I missed the alarm again!!!!!' So, it brings me back to resolution #1.

Resolution #3
Shy away from shyness. I do not consider myself to be an introvert, but at the same time, I take my time trying to get to know people. Sometimes, I feel I should speak more; assert my views more, voice out questions whenever there is a need to do so. I guess it's just a fear that others might perceive me to be stupid or dumb that prevents me from talking. There have been numerous occasions when things would have gone way better, if I had just spoken out. So, lesson hopefully learnt; this year I'll seize the initiative to talk!

Resolution #4
Worry less.
Hmm, worry- it's been a constant companion for me. I find that I so often lose track of precious time just worrying. Worried about the future. Worried about the past. Worried about why someone ceased speaking to me. Worried about grades. Worried about a job. Worried about how I will secure enough CCA points for an on campus accommodation next semester... and the list never ends. So I decided to put a full stop to worry this year. Okay, people who know me well will say that this is technically not possible, because worry is almost like a shadow for me. But it's worth a try!

That sums up my list of birthday resolutions. Let's see if I can stick to them. Here's to a happier, brighter, more hopeful year ahead! :)

2 comments:

  1. All the best..you know the problems....so nail them on the head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you karthi etta!! it's tough trying to stick on to my resolve because there's always a little voice trying to discourage me. But I'll persevere nevertheless!!

    ReplyDelete