Monday, February 14, 2011

Contemplation...

At times, I tend to contemplate on life. This usually happens when I am bored with work or simply in the mood for procrastination. It also occurs when I get disillusioned with material welfare. That does not mean that I have overcome my love for good things in life of course. At times, I just tend to think 'Is that all life is about?'. I know it sounds frivolous, but this is exactly when I think about the search for a meaning in life or about the nature of human existence. It reminded me of the question one tries to answer throughout one's existence- 'Who am I?' 'Tat tvam asi'- 'Thou are that', the ancient sages would say. Of course, realizing that is a different issue. And once the realization occurs, one is delivered from the merciless cycle of samsara.

I came across this beautiful song (Why the Sufis Whirl) by Kirtana, which seeks to explain how to attain the realization that each person on earth, including oneself, is not different from the creator. I still am not a 'realized' soul, of course (I guess there are miles to go before I 'sleep'), but the lyrics were truly inspiring in a profound way!

'I used to like to read the poems of Rumi
But I did not have a clue
What he meant when he said Beloved Friend
Until I met you
Now I know why the Sufis whirl:
It's awfully hard to rest
With all this love and fire inside my chest

I never understood that last supper
I did not know what to think
When Jesus said, "my body is this bread
And my blood this drink"
Had he merged with all of creation? -
Or found some fountain of youth
Now I see what I thought was alchemy
Is just the literal truth

And you don't need to be a Christian mystic
Or be born under a lucky star
You only need to be still and ask who you are,
Be still and know who you are

And to know the sound of one hand clapping
You don't need to read Lao Tsu
Just look around, look around, this is the sound
Do you hear it too?
One hand clapping, one heart singing
One Being being me and you
Only one unmoving ocean
Where many waves pass through

And you don't need to be a Zen Buddhist
To pierce the heart of this mystery
You only need to be willing to stop and see,
See what is still and free

You don't need to be a whirling dervish,
Or study scripture or travel far
You only need to be still and ask who you are
Be willing to know who you are...'



2 comments:

  1. Endammo....what do I say for this post molu...engayo poyitte....its good to contemplate...best is to follow karma yogam and every act of urs will become worship :)

    ReplyDelete

Monday, February 14, 2011

Contemplation...

At times, I tend to contemplate on life. This usually happens when I am bored with work or simply in the mood for procrastination. It also occurs when I get disillusioned with material welfare. That does not mean that I have overcome my love for good things in life of course. At times, I just tend to think 'Is that all life is about?'. I know it sounds frivolous, but this is exactly when I think about the search for a meaning in life or about the nature of human existence. It reminded me of the question one tries to answer throughout one's existence- 'Who am I?' 'Tat tvam asi'- 'Thou are that', the ancient sages would say. Of course, realizing that is a different issue. And once the realization occurs, one is delivered from the merciless cycle of samsara.

I came across this beautiful song (Why the Sufis Whirl) by Kirtana, which seeks to explain how to attain the realization that each person on earth, including oneself, is not different from the creator. I still am not a 'realized' soul, of course (I guess there are miles to go before I 'sleep'), but the lyrics were truly inspiring in a profound way!

'I used to like to read the poems of Rumi
But I did not have a clue
What he meant when he said Beloved Friend
Until I met you
Now I know why the Sufis whirl:
It's awfully hard to rest
With all this love and fire inside my chest

I never understood that last supper
I did not know what to think
When Jesus said, "my body is this bread
And my blood this drink"
Had he merged with all of creation? -
Or found some fountain of youth
Now I see what I thought was alchemy
Is just the literal truth

And you don't need to be a Christian mystic
Or be born under a lucky star
You only need to be still and ask who you are,
Be still and know who you are

And to know the sound of one hand clapping
You don't need to read Lao Tsu
Just look around, look around, this is the sound
Do you hear it too?
One hand clapping, one heart singing
One Being being me and you
Only one unmoving ocean
Where many waves pass through

And you don't need to be a Zen Buddhist
To pierce the heart of this mystery
You only need to be willing to stop and see,
See what is still and free

You don't need to be a whirling dervish,
Or study scripture or travel far
You only need to be still and ask who you are
Be willing to know who you are...'



2 comments:

  1. Endammo....what do I say for this post molu...engayo poyitte....its good to contemplate...best is to follow karma yogam and every act of urs will become worship :)

    ReplyDelete