Sunday, February 27, 2011

Learnings from the Turtle

A good friend recently bought a couple of turtles. So yesterday my friends and I went to see them. And yes, they were soooooo cute! :) It's amazing how two tiny turtles can bring anyone so much joy. We spent quite some time just observing them. Aah, the beauty of this cosmos with all its wondrous creation!

Looking back, my 'meeting' with the turtles triggered memories of an article I had read long back. I knew the article was from an issue of the Matruvani magazine which we subscribe to at home. Matruvani focuses on the teachings of my guru, Mother (Ammachi), known throughout the world as the Hugging Saint. Reading the monthly magazine would always put a smile on my face and relieve me of worry simply because it takes me closer to Mother. So the minute I reached my room, I began searching for the article amongst the few volumes I had brought from home. Coincidentally, I found the article! Written by one of the Swamis at the Amritapuri ashram, the article is about learning from the turtle. I'll share what I learnt from the article.

As I witnessed yesterday, a turtle never changes the direction of its movement. If you try lifting the turtle and set it in a different direction, it will always turn back to its original direction! We need to be like the turtle- Despite the presence of obstacles, never swerve from the original goal. Despite unfortunate circumstances, never change the course of your movement. The turtle may be slow, but it never loses sight of the goal. It reminds us that being slow is OK as long as you're making progress. You don't have to be caught in this mad, mad rush to be successful. Next, the turtle doesn't stay in its shell all the time. As the Korean proverb goes 'A turtle travels only when it sticks its neck out'. Meaning, we cannot be in our comfort zones all the time. We need to be willing to take risks, even if it means sticking our necks into unfamiliar waters. Who would have thought the turtle can teach us so much?!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for letting me know the facts about turtles Sruthi. Yes,every creature in this universe has got something to teach us and never underestimate anyone.This also reminds me of a quote which states that 'obstacles are those scary things you see when you take your eyes off the goal'. Believe in yourself and success will follow you.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Learnings from the Turtle

A good friend recently bought a couple of turtles. So yesterday my friends and I went to see them. And yes, they were soooooo cute! :) It's amazing how two tiny turtles can bring anyone so much joy. We spent quite some time just observing them. Aah, the beauty of this cosmos with all its wondrous creation!

Looking back, my 'meeting' with the turtles triggered memories of an article I had read long back. I knew the article was from an issue of the Matruvani magazine which we subscribe to at home. Matruvani focuses on the teachings of my guru, Mother (Ammachi), known throughout the world as the Hugging Saint. Reading the monthly magazine would always put a smile on my face and relieve me of worry simply because it takes me closer to Mother. So the minute I reached my room, I began searching for the article amongst the few volumes I had brought from home. Coincidentally, I found the article! Written by one of the Swamis at the Amritapuri ashram, the article is about learning from the turtle. I'll share what I learnt from the article.

As I witnessed yesterday, a turtle never changes the direction of its movement. If you try lifting the turtle and set it in a different direction, it will always turn back to its original direction! We need to be like the turtle- Despite the presence of obstacles, never swerve from the original goal. Despite unfortunate circumstances, never change the course of your movement. The turtle may be slow, but it never loses sight of the goal. It reminds us that being slow is OK as long as you're making progress. You don't have to be caught in this mad, mad rush to be successful. Next, the turtle doesn't stay in its shell all the time. As the Korean proverb goes 'A turtle travels only when it sticks its neck out'. Meaning, we cannot be in our comfort zones all the time. We need to be willing to take risks, even if it means sticking our necks into unfamiliar waters. Who would have thought the turtle can teach us so much?!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for letting me know the facts about turtles Sruthi. Yes,every creature in this universe has got something to teach us and never underestimate anyone.This also reminds me of a quote which states that 'obstacles are those scary things you see when you take your eyes off the goal'. Believe in yourself and success will follow you.

    ReplyDelete