Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Search

Last night, I was walking back to the hostel after dinner with my friends. I was extremely bored, despite the mountain of work piled up. (or maybe because of it?) Anyway, I decided to observe my surroundings as I walked. I saw a couple of eager dog walkers with their oh-so-cute Labradors. Once again, I vowed to myself that the first thing I'll do when I land a job will be to get myself a dog. And then I saw a poster in front of a Bible Society. It was a verse from Mark 8:36- 'For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?'

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about that one. And that left me pondering about what is the meaning of life. Getting a good job, and doing materially well is definitely like gaining the whole world. But in this mad race to outdo others, I wonder have we already forfeited our souls? And how can we redeem ourselves from this plight? Sure, turning to spirituality is a good way out. But how can we ensure that our lives have meaning? After all, as Robin Sharma puts it, 'Who will cry when you die?' I am weary of the rat race, but I have to continue to fight since that is the only way I can achieve worldly success which is equally important. At the same time, I really want to be remembered for something worthwhile. And so my search for meaning continues, again...

1 comment:

  1. Try to outdo yourself rather than trying to compete or get into a rat race. The problem is you will be busy watching others when you compete. A better approach would be to watch yourself and try outdoing yourself each time. That will give you peace of mind and satisfaction

    ReplyDelete

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Search

Last night, I was walking back to the hostel after dinner with my friends. I was extremely bored, despite the mountain of work piled up. (or maybe because of it?) Anyway, I decided to observe my surroundings as I walked. I saw a couple of eager dog walkers with their oh-so-cute Labradors. Once again, I vowed to myself that the first thing I'll do when I land a job will be to get myself a dog. And then I saw a poster in front of a Bible Society. It was a verse from Mark 8:36- 'For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?'

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about that one. And that left me pondering about what is the meaning of life. Getting a good job, and doing materially well is definitely like gaining the whole world. But in this mad race to outdo others, I wonder have we already forfeited our souls? And how can we redeem ourselves from this plight? Sure, turning to spirituality is a good way out. But how can we ensure that our lives have meaning? After all, as Robin Sharma puts it, 'Who will cry when you die?' I am weary of the rat race, but I have to continue to fight since that is the only way I can achieve worldly success which is equally important. At the same time, I really want to be remembered for something worthwhile. And so my search for meaning continues, again...

1 comment:

  1. Try to outdo yourself rather than trying to compete or get into a rat race. The problem is you will be busy watching others when you compete. A better approach would be to watch yourself and try outdoing yourself each time. That will give you peace of mind and satisfaction

    ReplyDelete