Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quiet Joy

I was on my way back to NUS from Shenton Way yesterday. As I passed through Tanjong Pagar MRT Station, I saw a sign board with these words- ''There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.'' It set me contemplating. The past few days have been a mad rush to complete deadlines, essays, projects and assignments, along with the general worries of any university student.

As I traveled in the MRT, I just began to think and count off all the things I feel lucky for. Sure, I am not a perfect person. I have my flaws. There are times when I have complained, cried and thrown tantrums. All for trivial reasons, which seemed so important at that point in time. I thought of Amma and Appa, Muthacha back in Coimbatore, Amooma in Mumbai, and all my cousins, uncles and aunts. I thought of dear teachers who have played a critical role in making me who I am today, my close friends who have stood by me at all times. I was reminded of precious times from the past- my first pets, a pair of chickens whom I named Henny and Penny, brought by Appa on a trip to Ooty town; conversations with Muthacha; games with the entire cousin clan; sitting down together to watch an adipoli Mohanlal movie; trips to our favorite bookstore; arguing with Amma over which pair of earrings was prettier; eating sadya on a banana leaf; chanting prayers together at the altar, the weekly sahasranama chantings with Amma and so on.... And it felt great. Thank God for the small mercies in life! Suddenly, the sun seemed to shine brighter and my burdens seemed lighter.

At the same time, I was also reminded of certain unpleasant scenes. But surprisingly, instead of becoming bitter, I just let it go. And they didn't seem to matter anymore. As I walked back to my room, I watched the butterflies flutter by and listened to the song of the birds. I felt as if the whole of creation was dancing with me. Gratitude makes you happy, indeed! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes count your blessing and smile always!!!
    That makes you more humble and realize what you have and cherish everything and every moment :)

    ReplyDelete

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quiet Joy

I was on my way back to NUS from Shenton Way yesterday. As I passed through Tanjong Pagar MRT Station, I saw a sign board with these words- ''There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.'' It set me contemplating. The past few days have been a mad rush to complete deadlines, essays, projects and assignments, along with the general worries of any university student.

As I traveled in the MRT, I just began to think and count off all the things I feel lucky for. Sure, I am not a perfect person. I have my flaws. There are times when I have complained, cried and thrown tantrums. All for trivial reasons, which seemed so important at that point in time. I thought of Amma and Appa, Muthacha back in Coimbatore, Amooma in Mumbai, and all my cousins, uncles and aunts. I thought of dear teachers who have played a critical role in making me who I am today, my close friends who have stood by me at all times. I was reminded of precious times from the past- my first pets, a pair of chickens whom I named Henny and Penny, brought by Appa on a trip to Ooty town; conversations with Muthacha; games with the entire cousin clan; sitting down together to watch an adipoli Mohanlal movie; trips to our favorite bookstore; arguing with Amma over which pair of earrings was prettier; eating sadya on a banana leaf; chanting prayers together at the altar, the weekly sahasranama chantings with Amma and so on.... And it felt great. Thank God for the small mercies in life! Suddenly, the sun seemed to shine brighter and my burdens seemed lighter.

At the same time, I was also reminded of certain unpleasant scenes. But surprisingly, instead of becoming bitter, I just let it go. And they didn't seem to matter anymore. As I walked back to my room, I watched the butterflies flutter by and listened to the song of the birds. I felt as if the whole of creation was dancing with me. Gratitude makes you happy, indeed! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes count your blessing and smile always!!!
    That makes you more humble and realize what you have and cherish everything and every moment :)

    ReplyDelete