Friday, March 18, 2011

Why am I doing all this?

I've come to the end of a very very hectic week, finally! But, there are many more to follow. As I look back at this one week, I wonder how I survived it. I think it's because I kept asking myself, 'Why am I doing all this?' At each stage where I felt like just throwing in the towel, I reminded myself about my goals, my dreams, my hopes. And then the burden didn't seem so heavy after all.

Why am I doing all this? I found the question to be a powerful motivator, helping me to persevere further and ignore all the obstacles. My dreams and my goals spurred me on. Sure, it's a tough journey, and I may not always end up being the best, but at least I can be proud that I have been putting in my best efforts. I also realized, for the umpteenth time, that faith and hope can change everything! Here's to faith, hope and perseverance!

This a poem I read ages ago. I keep rereading it when I'm in search of motivation:

The Oyster

'There once was an oyster
Whose story I tell,
Who found that some sand
Had got into his shell.
It was only a grain,
But it gave him great pain.
For oysters have feelings
Although they’re so plain.

Now, did he berate
The harsh working of fate
That had brought him
To such a deplorable state?
Did he curse at the government,
Cry for election,
And claim that the sea should
Have given him protection?

No – he said to himself
As he lay on a shell,
Since I cannot remove it,
I shall try to improve it.
Now the years have rolled around,
As the years always do,
And he came to his ultimate
Destiny – stew.

And the small grain of sand
That had bothered him so
Was a beautiful pearl
All richly aglow.
Now the tale has a moral;
For isn’t it grand
What an oyster can do
With a morsel of sand?

What couldn’t we do
If we’d only begin
With some of the things
That get under our skin.'

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's our dreams, our aspirations and the goals that keep us moving forward. Like the sand in the oyster which remained positive and turned into a beautiful pearl, 'Life's blows cannot break a person whose spirit is warmed at the fire of enthusiasm'. After all it's your attitude that determines your altitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Thanks for sharing this wonderful poem... You are certainly a well read person...

    ReplyDelete

Friday, March 18, 2011

Why am I doing all this?

I've come to the end of a very very hectic week, finally! But, there are many more to follow. As I look back at this one week, I wonder how I survived it. I think it's because I kept asking myself, 'Why am I doing all this?' At each stage where I felt like just throwing in the towel, I reminded myself about my goals, my dreams, my hopes. And then the burden didn't seem so heavy after all.

Why am I doing all this? I found the question to be a powerful motivator, helping me to persevere further and ignore all the obstacles. My dreams and my goals spurred me on. Sure, it's a tough journey, and I may not always end up being the best, but at least I can be proud that I have been putting in my best efforts. I also realized, for the umpteenth time, that faith and hope can change everything! Here's to faith, hope and perseverance!

This a poem I read ages ago. I keep rereading it when I'm in search of motivation:

The Oyster

'There once was an oyster
Whose story I tell,
Who found that some sand
Had got into his shell.
It was only a grain,
But it gave him great pain.
For oysters have feelings
Although they’re so plain.

Now, did he berate
The harsh working of fate
That had brought him
To such a deplorable state?
Did he curse at the government,
Cry for election,
And claim that the sea should
Have given him protection?

No – he said to himself
As he lay on a shell,
Since I cannot remove it,
I shall try to improve it.
Now the years have rolled around,
As the years always do,
And he came to his ultimate
Destiny – stew.

And the small grain of sand
That had bothered him so
Was a beautiful pearl
All richly aglow.
Now the tale has a moral;
For isn’t it grand
What an oyster can do
With a morsel of sand?

What couldn’t we do
If we’d only begin
With some of the things
That get under our skin.'

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's our dreams, our aspirations and the goals that keep us moving forward. Like the sand in the oyster which remained positive and turned into a beautiful pearl, 'Life's blows cannot break a person whose spirit is warmed at the fire of enthusiasm'. After all it's your attitude that determines your altitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Thanks for sharing this wonderful poem... You are certainly a well read person...

    ReplyDelete