Friday, April 15, 2011

Beginning of a New Dawn

Today is Vishu, the beginning of a New Year according to the Malayalam calendar. And 'celebrating' Vishu far away from home just doesn't seem right. But everything is for a cause, and I'm not grumbling. Instead am basking in the warmth of precious Vishu memories of the past. One of the most important customs of Vishu is the 'kani', referring to what needs to be seen first, on the dawn of Vishu.

As a child, I remember Appa and Amma chasing me to bed early the night before, so that they could arrange the Vishu kani at the altar in the pooja room. At 4 in the morning, Appa would wake me, cover my eyes and lead me to the pooja room so that the first thing I see is the kani. Even today, I recollect the splendor of the sight. Lit oil lamps for light, yellow fruit and vegetables for prosperity, Amma's pattu sari and jewelery for wealth, books for knowledge, and a mirror symbolizing the reflection of good luck in one's life. All this is arranged in front of a picture of the smiling Lord. What can go wrong in the New Year when you witness such splendor at the very beginning? For me, this truly is the beginning of a new dawn. :)

Oh, the next important aspect of Vishu is the kaineetam, where elders are supposed to give some money to everyone else in the household. Appa and Amma, are you reading this? :D

2 comments:

  1. Technology has brought the World much closer together. You were able to see technology assisted kani right in your room! May this New Year bring you all joy and happiness. May all your dreams come true. You can claim your kaineetam when you come here sruthimol. Have a wonderful year.God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kaineetam added to a long list of claims. :D

    ReplyDelete

Friday, April 15, 2011

Beginning of a New Dawn

Today is Vishu, the beginning of a New Year according to the Malayalam calendar. And 'celebrating' Vishu far away from home just doesn't seem right. But everything is for a cause, and I'm not grumbling. Instead am basking in the warmth of precious Vishu memories of the past. One of the most important customs of Vishu is the 'kani', referring to what needs to be seen first, on the dawn of Vishu.

As a child, I remember Appa and Amma chasing me to bed early the night before, so that they could arrange the Vishu kani at the altar in the pooja room. At 4 in the morning, Appa would wake me, cover my eyes and lead me to the pooja room so that the first thing I see is the kani. Even today, I recollect the splendor of the sight. Lit oil lamps for light, yellow fruit and vegetables for prosperity, Amma's pattu sari and jewelery for wealth, books for knowledge, and a mirror symbolizing the reflection of good luck in one's life. All this is arranged in front of a picture of the smiling Lord. What can go wrong in the New Year when you witness such splendor at the very beginning? For me, this truly is the beginning of a new dawn. :)

Oh, the next important aspect of Vishu is the kaineetam, where elders are supposed to give some money to everyone else in the household. Appa and Amma, are you reading this? :D

2 comments:

  1. Technology has brought the World much closer together. You were able to see technology assisted kani right in your room! May this New Year bring you all joy and happiness. May all your dreams come true. You can claim your kaineetam when you come here sruthimol. Have a wonderful year.God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kaineetam added to a long list of claims. :D

    ReplyDelete