Thursday, April 21, 2011

Calicut Halwa

I don't know why but I have this sudden unexplainable craving for Calicut Halwa. As a child, I remember looking forward to my vacations back in ende Keralam, so that I could gorge on 'benana' chips, Amooma's unniappams and elaiaddas and of course, my favorite halwa. I know I sound gluttony, but good food is a gift from God of course. Especially this halwa- shiny, gleaming slabs in orange and yellow, sprinkled with cashews and the slight aroma of coconut oil. Or is it ghee? I don't know, and I don't care. It's yummm and that's what matters.

As its name suggests, the halwa traces its origins to the city of Calicut in the northern Malabar region of Kerala. But as time passed, I guess its popularity spread to all parts of Kerala, and today one can find it in any part of the state, even in the central regions and the southern backwaters. Indeed, it's representative of home for me.

My earliest memory of halwa- I was in grade 3 I think. My grandpa had made a trip to Ooty all the way from Palakkad. The minute I returned home from school, I realized that Thatha had come and voila! so had the halwa and banana chips. It was such a treat to eat halwa and watch the rain, the beautiful Nilgiri hills in the background, chatting with Thatha. Good times! Each time Thatha came home, he brought along halwa just for me. And each vacation, he ensured that I got my share of heaven. Thatha was always so thoughtful and loving...

Oh no, writing this post makes me so nostalgic. And of course, makes my craving even stronger. I even googled recipes of halwa and sent it to Amma, who promised to make it once I'm back home. Till then, I'll find some solace in chocolate cake. :) Okay, back to the books.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy it was! Old sweet memories! More than the, wheat halwa I enjoyed the rice halwa from Travancore side;
    That brown one's which is softer and not that oily. Thatha had always made it a point to bring halwa, both orange and yellow one. He made sure that he brings all the goodies each one of us like. I am sure he must be somewhere watching us and proud of your achievements. He will be showering his blessings on us as always.
    Oh, sruthimol you have made me too long for the same :(
    I wish I could lay my hands on those lovely halwas once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is the small joys of life that actually make us happy. There are also some superb halwa culinary delights from TamilNadu, the Thirunelveli halwa and the Musquoth Halwa. Don't worry once you come down to Coimbatore, we will lay our hands on atleast on of these I promise :)May be "Hallucination" was derived from "Halwa+imagination" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Calicut Halwa

I don't know why but I have this sudden unexplainable craving for Calicut Halwa. As a child, I remember looking forward to my vacations back in ende Keralam, so that I could gorge on 'benana' chips, Amooma's unniappams and elaiaddas and of course, my favorite halwa. I know I sound gluttony, but good food is a gift from God of course. Especially this halwa- shiny, gleaming slabs in orange and yellow, sprinkled with cashews and the slight aroma of coconut oil. Or is it ghee? I don't know, and I don't care. It's yummm and that's what matters.

As its name suggests, the halwa traces its origins to the city of Calicut in the northern Malabar region of Kerala. But as time passed, I guess its popularity spread to all parts of Kerala, and today one can find it in any part of the state, even in the central regions and the southern backwaters. Indeed, it's representative of home for me.

My earliest memory of halwa- I was in grade 3 I think. My grandpa had made a trip to Ooty all the way from Palakkad. The minute I returned home from school, I realized that Thatha had come and voila! so had the halwa and banana chips. It was such a treat to eat halwa and watch the rain, the beautiful Nilgiri hills in the background, chatting with Thatha. Good times! Each time Thatha came home, he brought along halwa just for me. And each vacation, he ensured that I got my share of heaven. Thatha was always so thoughtful and loving...

Oh no, writing this post makes me so nostalgic. And of course, makes my craving even stronger. I even googled recipes of halwa and sent it to Amma, who promised to make it once I'm back home. Till then, I'll find some solace in chocolate cake. :) Okay, back to the books.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy it was! Old sweet memories! More than the, wheat halwa I enjoyed the rice halwa from Travancore side;
    That brown one's which is softer and not that oily. Thatha had always made it a point to bring halwa, both orange and yellow one. He made sure that he brings all the goodies each one of us like. I am sure he must be somewhere watching us and proud of your achievements. He will be showering his blessings on us as always.
    Oh, sruthimol you have made me too long for the same :(
    I wish I could lay my hands on those lovely halwas once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is the small joys of life that actually make us happy. There are also some superb halwa culinary delights from TamilNadu, the Thirunelveli halwa and the Musquoth Halwa. Don't worry once you come down to Coimbatore, we will lay our hands on atleast on of these I promise :)May be "Hallucination" was derived from "Halwa+imagination" :)

    ReplyDelete