Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stop Pretending

People pretending to be someone they aren't. You'll find them everywhere. I certainly do not exclude myself from this list. I have fallen prey to the pressures of trying to be popular, by pretending. Pretending to enjoy talking about stuff I inwardly detest, pretending to be a totally different person.I have, however, realized that this pretense cannot carry you long.

As a university student, I probably do not fall into the 'cool' category. I would rather read an interesting book than go out clubbing. I prefer to watch Vivek/Vadivel comedy on Sun TV than the latest season of How I Met Your Mother. I would listen to AR Rahman and Kollywood dappankuthu any day over Western musicians whose names I have to google. I like discussing religion, politics and books. I like going to temples. I don't have a boyfriend. At least, not yet :P And yes, I do attend lectures and study. ('Oh you study? *gasp* Oh My God!' Erm, yes I actually study, at least 24 hours before the semester exams. I'm sure my Appa didn't send me 1807 miles away from home just so I could sleep and enjoy life. If I sound self righteous I don't apologize.) If this qualifies me to be a 'nerd' I'd rather be one. That's the way I am made, and there are probably others who appreciate me for being who I am. I live my life the way I want to, and not according to the whims and fancies of others. Anyway I cannot pretend forever.

So I have realized that the best way to happiness is just to be yourself. Don't feel like going somewhere? Have the guts to say no! Don't feel like following your friends? Please stick to your own self, you won't regret it later. Have too much work and don't want to go get drunk? Please listen to that little voice inside your mind.

I understand there are times when you simply have to pretend. For instance, at the workplace or in a group meeting. Now those are unavoidable circumstances. But there are many times, when we willfully pretend, when there is absolutely no need to. Simply put, pretentious people come across as shallow- and everyone knows that it's just a pretense. It's similar to the scenario where a person smiles, but you can tell whether it's genuine or not.

I am reminded of this story where a man recently got a promotion. He was eager to impress upon everyone the power he exuded with the new post. So when a man knocked at his door, he pretended to be busy on the phone. He used a lot of technical jargon and spoke in a tone of authority. After a few minutes, he hung up and asked the man briskly what he wanted. The man, stifling a chuckle, said 'I'm here to fix your telephone!'

So why pretend? It's futile and meaningless. Have the courage to be yourself. And most importantly 'Take pride in how far you have come; Have faith in how far you can go.' I believe therein lies the key to happiness.


5 comments:

  1. Very honest article molu. Always remember this : You are a unique person. There is nobody like you this this world. So follow "I am as I am". I have faced a lot of smirks, cynical laughter etc. for being myself.

    In a way people do that cause they cannot be you. They are jealous of what you are doing and cannot help their inability and lack of control.

    You are a great person Sruthi mol and be as you are. You are on your way to carve a niche place for yourself which will be everybody's envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, you're the coolest person I know in university. Can't think of anybody else here who would bother sustaining a conversation on religion or woodoo for more than a minute. Yes, I think that qualifies you. Glad you're around !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "fullum full" agree with you KS. I could never pretend. Maybe that was why I didn't get anywhere in that corporate world dealing with education... No I lie... I did manage to get into a few hundred hearts of lovely young people!
    And that makes up for all other gaps....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is so universal..!!! i've had had my guilt laden pretenses too only to realize its sheer futility. But Sruti, you are an Angel, honestly, I loved u from the first time i met you. and as say your other friends, the pple who mock and sneer at you for being who you are, are the silent souls crying to be you..!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stop Pretending

People pretending to be someone they aren't. You'll find them everywhere. I certainly do not exclude myself from this list. I have fallen prey to the pressures of trying to be popular, by pretending. Pretending to enjoy talking about stuff I inwardly detest, pretending to be a totally different person.I have, however, realized that this pretense cannot carry you long.

As a university student, I probably do not fall into the 'cool' category. I would rather read an interesting book than go out clubbing. I prefer to watch Vivek/Vadivel comedy on Sun TV than the latest season of How I Met Your Mother. I would listen to AR Rahman and Kollywood dappankuthu any day over Western musicians whose names I have to google. I like discussing religion, politics and books. I like going to temples. I don't have a boyfriend. At least, not yet :P And yes, I do attend lectures and study. ('Oh you study? *gasp* Oh My God!' Erm, yes I actually study, at least 24 hours before the semester exams. I'm sure my Appa didn't send me 1807 miles away from home just so I could sleep and enjoy life. If I sound self righteous I don't apologize.) If this qualifies me to be a 'nerd' I'd rather be one. That's the way I am made, and there are probably others who appreciate me for being who I am. I live my life the way I want to, and not according to the whims and fancies of others. Anyway I cannot pretend forever.

So I have realized that the best way to happiness is just to be yourself. Don't feel like going somewhere? Have the guts to say no! Don't feel like following your friends? Please stick to your own self, you won't regret it later. Have too much work and don't want to go get drunk? Please listen to that little voice inside your mind.

I understand there are times when you simply have to pretend. For instance, at the workplace or in a group meeting. Now those are unavoidable circumstances. But there are many times, when we willfully pretend, when there is absolutely no need to. Simply put, pretentious people come across as shallow- and everyone knows that it's just a pretense. It's similar to the scenario where a person smiles, but you can tell whether it's genuine or not.

I am reminded of this story where a man recently got a promotion. He was eager to impress upon everyone the power he exuded with the new post. So when a man knocked at his door, he pretended to be busy on the phone. He used a lot of technical jargon and spoke in a tone of authority. After a few minutes, he hung up and asked the man briskly what he wanted. The man, stifling a chuckle, said 'I'm here to fix your telephone!'

So why pretend? It's futile and meaningless. Have the courage to be yourself. And most importantly 'Take pride in how far you have come; Have faith in how far you can go.' I believe therein lies the key to happiness.


5 comments:

  1. Very honest article molu. Always remember this : You are a unique person. There is nobody like you this this world. So follow "I am as I am". I have faced a lot of smirks, cynical laughter etc. for being myself.

    In a way people do that cause they cannot be you. They are jealous of what you are doing and cannot help their inability and lack of control.

    You are a great person Sruthi mol and be as you are. You are on your way to carve a niche place for yourself which will be everybody's envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, you're the coolest person I know in university. Can't think of anybody else here who would bother sustaining a conversation on religion or woodoo for more than a minute. Yes, I think that qualifies you. Glad you're around !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "fullum full" agree with you KS. I could never pretend. Maybe that was why I didn't get anywhere in that corporate world dealing with education... No I lie... I did manage to get into a few hundred hearts of lovely young people!
    And that makes up for all other gaps....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is so universal..!!! i've had had my guilt laden pretenses too only to realize its sheer futility. But Sruti, you are an Angel, honestly, I loved u from the first time i met you. and as say your other friends, the pple who mock and sneer at you for being who you are, are the silent souls crying to be you..!! :)

    ReplyDelete