Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Lesson from my Little Niece

I cannot believe that my summer holidays have come to an end so fast! I must admit, it's been a very fruitful vacation due to a wonderful internship and so I celebrated the last week of the summer with my parents, who flew down to Singapore. They stayed at my cousin's house, so during that week I got a lot of time to bond with my one and a half year old niece, whom I hadn't been able to play with for a very long time, thanks to University!

Children, in all their innocence, can really teach you a lot. I found it to be the same with my niece. I was playing with her and accidentally, my elbow hit her on the forehead. She didn't react to it immediately. But as soon as I realized that I had hit her, I gasped loudly. When she saw my reaction, she became frightened and started crying, huge tears falling onto her ABC mat. Later, I understood that she cried not because of pain, but because of my response to that situation. It took us all a while to coax her, and later she came back to me to continue her ABC game.

While traveling back to my campus, I began to ponder over the incident. Aren't we all like that? Sometimes, don't we pay more attention to how other people react rather than how it affects ourselves? This lesson from my niece reminded me that whilst it may be important to listen to other people , sometimes all that's required is to listen to yourself. At the end of the day, that's what is important. That's what counts. Be good to yourself. Be true to yourself. In Dale Wimbrow's words, 'Your final reward will be heartaches and tears; If you've cheated the guy in the glass'.

Thank you Anshu baby, for teaching me this lesson! You'll probably never read this, but I want you to know that I'm proud of you and will always be your loving Sruthi bua. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Lesson from my Little Niece

I cannot believe that my summer holidays have come to an end so fast! I must admit, it's been a very fruitful vacation due to a wonderful internship and so I celebrated the last week of the summer with my parents, who flew down to Singapore. They stayed at my cousin's house, so during that week I got a lot of time to bond with my one and a half year old niece, whom I hadn't been able to play with for a very long time, thanks to University!

Children, in all their innocence, can really teach you a lot. I found it to be the same with my niece. I was playing with her and accidentally, my elbow hit her on the forehead. She didn't react to it immediately. But as soon as I realized that I had hit her, I gasped loudly. When she saw my reaction, she became frightened and started crying, huge tears falling onto her ABC mat. Later, I understood that she cried not because of pain, but because of my response to that situation. It took us all a while to coax her, and later she came back to me to continue her ABC game.

While traveling back to my campus, I began to ponder over the incident. Aren't we all like that? Sometimes, don't we pay more attention to how other people react rather than how it affects ourselves? This lesson from my niece reminded me that whilst it may be important to listen to other people , sometimes all that's required is to listen to yourself. At the end of the day, that's what is important. That's what counts. Be good to yourself. Be true to yourself. In Dale Wimbrow's words, 'Your final reward will be heartaches and tears; If you've cheated the guy in the glass'.

Thank you Anshu baby, for teaching me this lesson! You'll probably never read this, but I want you to know that I'm proud of you and will always be your loving Sruthi bua. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment