Monday, August 22, 2011

Of Book Sales and Happiness

For the past few weeks, I have been craving to read an Agatha Christie novel, especially one from the Miss Marple series. I cannot explain why I suddenly felt like reading these books, but maybe, I associated it with certain memories and as those memories struck me, the books came to my mind. For instance, A Murder is Announced was probably the first ever Agatha Christie I read. I remember reading it after my grade 8 final examinations, a good seven years ago, when we were still in Bahrain. I was expecting the exam results and I calmed my poor nerves by reading this hard-to-put-down book. As a result of reading the book, Miss Marple found an ardent fan in me.

Times passed by and soon I began to grow weary of the morbidity involved in most of Christie's books. (Fame and fans are fickle friends, Miss Marple!) I began to shift to different genres, often not reading for long periods altogether, thanks to my hectic academic schedules at school. I'm glad to say that I've got back into my old habit of reading regularly, largely due to my summer internship. This was my life saver during those long hours on the bus and MRT and the lonely times back in an empty hostel. I used to read before the internship, of course, but it was sporadic and unfocused. Imagine, even a book as gripping as A Thousand Splendid Suns took me one whole semester plus the winter break to complete!

Nevertheless, am glad that I still manage to squeeze in some time for reading. So, when I was anxiously awaiting my semester results, I remembered waiting for my grade 8 results a long time ago. The old memories struck me and I knew I had to go and find an Agatha Christie somewhere. I specifically wanted to read A Murder is Announced again, but the Library didn't have the books I wanted. I was sulky that one day, but thankfully managed to find something else to read.

Imagine my glee when I walked to the Central Forum today and what was I to find, but an old book sale! And wonder of wonders, they also had Agatha Christie books, very very reasonably priced. And best of all, they had A Murder is Announced. Now, I certainly do not endorse the gloom and ominousness associated with the title, but I have really been craving for this book for quite some time. What a happy accident!! :)

I'll take this incident as a sign from the heavens to stop slacking and start working!

1 comment:

  1. I shared your joy. Same thing happened to me but I craved for Doctor Who books about which I have written in length here:
    http://technicalphilosopher.blogspot.com/2008/11/doctor-who-books.html

    ReplyDelete

Monday, August 22, 2011

Of Book Sales and Happiness

For the past few weeks, I have been craving to read an Agatha Christie novel, especially one from the Miss Marple series. I cannot explain why I suddenly felt like reading these books, but maybe, I associated it with certain memories and as those memories struck me, the books came to my mind. For instance, A Murder is Announced was probably the first ever Agatha Christie I read. I remember reading it after my grade 8 final examinations, a good seven years ago, when we were still in Bahrain. I was expecting the exam results and I calmed my poor nerves by reading this hard-to-put-down book. As a result of reading the book, Miss Marple found an ardent fan in me.

Times passed by and soon I began to grow weary of the morbidity involved in most of Christie's books. (Fame and fans are fickle friends, Miss Marple!) I began to shift to different genres, often not reading for long periods altogether, thanks to my hectic academic schedules at school. I'm glad to say that I've got back into my old habit of reading regularly, largely due to my summer internship. This was my life saver during those long hours on the bus and MRT and the lonely times back in an empty hostel. I used to read before the internship, of course, but it was sporadic and unfocused. Imagine, even a book as gripping as A Thousand Splendid Suns took me one whole semester plus the winter break to complete!

Nevertheless, am glad that I still manage to squeeze in some time for reading. So, when I was anxiously awaiting my semester results, I remembered waiting for my grade 8 results a long time ago. The old memories struck me and I knew I had to go and find an Agatha Christie somewhere. I specifically wanted to read A Murder is Announced again, but the Library didn't have the books I wanted. I was sulky that one day, but thankfully managed to find something else to read.

Imagine my glee when I walked to the Central Forum today and what was I to find, but an old book sale! And wonder of wonders, they also had Agatha Christie books, very very reasonably priced. And best of all, they had A Murder is Announced. Now, I certainly do not endorse the gloom and ominousness associated with the title, but I have really been craving for this book for quite some time. What a happy accident!! :)

I'll take this incident as a sign from the heavens to stop slacking and start working!

1 comment:

  1. I shared your joy. Same thing happened to me but I craved for Doctor Who books about which I have written in length here:
    http://technicalphilosopher.blogspot.com/2008/11/doctor-who-books.html

    ReplyDelete