Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stroke of Inspiration

Yesterday was one of those routine boring days, filled with lessons and homework. After four hours of class, I was heading towards the Biz canteen for lunch with my friends, when I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to bring along my financial calculator. I had to attend a class on financial markets an hour after lunch, and without the calculator it would be pretty difficult to understand concepts. So I decided to return to my room after lunch in order to fetch it. And that was exactly what I did.

I had a little free time, so I went through the notes and tried to get hold of what is happening in the financial world. It all left me feeling slightly overwhelmed because there was so much to analyze and suffice to say, I wasn't feeling like attending the class later. I ignored the sly voice in my mind, encouraging me to bunk, and went out of the room, clutching my calculator. As I waited for the lift, I met the lady who had come to clean the floor. I smiled at her and she greeted me. Then she asked, 'No school?'. I replied that I was just going for lessons. She beamed at me again and said in typical Singlish, 'Must work hard lah!! Then only can go office and get high pay job!'. It was just a simple gesture and it probably doesn't make much sense, but to me, it was a stroke of inspiration. As I waited for the university bus, I kept thinking about what she said. It was pretty obvious that I needed to work hard to get a great job. What touched me was that she took the effort to tell that to a total stranger like me. As I walked into my finance class, I felt much more motivated and put in more efforts to listen and grasp the concepts. Sometimes, seemingly insignificant events leave a tremendous impact! :)

4 comments:

  1. of course they do... Moving post sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many a time Life's greatest lessons are taught by simple ordinary people sruthi. We should be able to learn and assimilate these truths without our ego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be a simple message Sruthi mol, but it comes from her years of toil where she has realized what she missed out. I am sure her mol de mol de mol will become an IMF president.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stroke of Inspiration

Yesterday was one of those routine boring days, filled with lessons and homework. After four hours of class, I was heading towards the Biz canteen for lunch with my friends, when I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to bring along my financial calculator. I had to attend a class on financial markets an hour after lunch, and without the calculator it would be pretty difficult to understand concepts. So I decided to return to my room after lunch in order to fetch it. And that was exactly what I did.

I had a little free time, so I went through the notes and tried to get hold of what is happening in the financial world. It all left me feeling slightly overwhelmed because there was so much to analyze and suffice to say, I wasn't feeling like attending the class later. I ignored the sly voice in my mind, encouraging me to bunk, and went out of the room, clutching my calculator. As I waited for the lift, I met the lady who had come to clean the floor. I smiled at her and she greeted me. Then she asked, 'No school?'. I replied that I was just going for lessons. She beamed at me again and said in typical Singlish, 'Must work hard lah!! Then only can go office and get high pay job!'. It was just a simple gesture and it probably doesn't make much sense, but to me, it was a stroke of inspiration. As I waited for the university bus, I kept thinking about what she said. It was pretty obvious that I needed to work hard to get a great job. What touched me was that she took the effort to tell that to a total stranger like me. As I walked into my finance class, I felt much more motivated and put in more efforts to listen and grasp the concepts. Sometimes, seemingly insignificant events leave a tremendous impact! :)

4 comments:

  1. of course they do... Moving post sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many a time Life's greatest lessons are taught by simple ordinary people sruthi. We should be able to learn and assimilate these truths without our ego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be a simple message Sruthi mol, but it comes from her years of toil where she has realized what she missed out. I am sure her mol de mol de mol will become an IMF president.

    ReplyDelete