Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Amma!

Dear Amma,

It's your birthday today. How I wish I could be back home, just to hug you and wish you at the stroke of midnight! Since that is not possible, I decided to write this post. Just to tell you how much you mean to me.

You've always been a tremendous influence in my life. As a child, I used to adore you (of course, I still do!) and you continue to be my idol. I vowed that I would be someone like you when I grew up. Your word was the Golden word and it just had to be obeyed. I never questioned you. However, I know there were times when I was quite a brat. (I can almost imagine you rolling your eyes at this. 'Was a brat? Aaaamaa, like you've changed!') One incident that remains in my mind's eye was the trip we made to a relative's house back in Kerala. I was probably around four or five at that time. Nikhil, my cousin, had snatched away the colorful pottu that you had painstakingly placed on my forehead, after selecting one which finally pleased me. I started crying immediately, shouted at Nikhil, and needless to say, everyone thought I was a brat. The aunty in the house politely offered to give me a new one, which I promptly refused, citing that it didn't match the color of my frock. You discretely pinched me, in a desperate attempt to quieten me, but unfortunately, that only aggravated the situation more. A year later or so, there was another gathering, the naming ceremony of my cousin Ekanath. I made life difficult for you again, this time because the kanmashi you applied to my eyelids had been smudged, making me look like a tiny rakshasi. I hated it, especially since Lily chechi was prettily dressed in her pattu paavadai and I looked hideous compared to her. I cried again, and everybody started asking what had happened. You said, 'Onnum illa', with an embarrassed smile and tried to wash away the smudged kohl. When that didn't work, you tried to quieten me, once again with the Pinch. It only made me bawl out louder. Gosh, I still cannot imagine how much patience you had to deal with all those tantrums! Apart from these pinching incidents, you continued to nurture me, ensured that I did homework, taught me all the spelling rules (I still remember that 'accommodation' has double cots and double mattresses!), saw to it that I had good friends, read out to me bedtime stories... You made sure that I was a happy child.

And then came my teen years. I remember you telling me that I should consider you to be a good friend first, and then only as a mother. You told me, 'No secrets between us, okay?' And I would pour out everything to you- gossip from school, stress about exams, petty incidents amongst friends- and you became my closest confidante. At this stage, we began to have common interests- we teamed against Appa when it came to shopping! We could now share earrings, shoes and sometimes even clothes. You would joke that we were like the mother-daughter duo in that lame Santoor soap ad, where everyone asks them 'sisters aano?'

Of course, we have always had our fights, but you continue to be my best friend. I realize that now, especially since I'm staying outside home. Who else would continue to put up with all my whims and fancies? Who else could I be this free with? Once you observed me talking on the phone to a teacher, and after the conversation, you told me, 'I never knew you could be this polite! How come none of this applies to me?' Amma, that's because there's nobody else in this vast universe like you. Thank you for the miracle of just being in my life. Thank you for bringing solace, happiness and laughter to my 19 years of existence on this planet. Happy birthday, Amma! I love you.

7 comments:

  1. I am touched Sruthi mol:) You are always my best friend. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... That is so sweet!
    And P.S.:- She does look like your sister. :)
    Happy b'day to her from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amma, that's the best I could do to make up for not being home :)

    @Divya, thank you! :) Sure, I'll pass on your wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet :)
    My Best wishes to you Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Ashwini! :) Nice to meet fellow Aquarian bloggers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice post and I am really happy to recall all those instances :)having had the privilege to be there :) You are blessed to have a wonderful mom who is your friend philosopher and guide. When years pass and you have a family, you will appreciate more and more as to what kind of protection and comfort your mom has given you. You will be left wondering every time as to how your parents managed to nurture you and provide the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Karthietta! :) Yeah, I miss Amma so much here at college and it's such a comfort to know that she is always with me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Amma!

Dear Amma,

It's your birthday today. How I wish I could be back home, just to hug you and wish you at the stroke of midnight! Since that is not possible, I decided to write this post. Just to tell you how much you mean to me.

You've always been a tremendous influence in my life. As a child, I used to adore you (of course, I still do!) and you continue to be my idol. I vowed that I would be someone like you when I grew up. Your word was the Golden word and it just had to be obeyed. I never questioned you. However, I know there were times when I was quite a brat. (I can almost imagine you rolling your eyes at this. 'Was a brat? Aaaamaa, like you've changed!') One incident that remains in my mind's eye was the trip we made to a relative's house back in Kerala. I was probably around four or five at that time. Nikhil, my cousin, had snatched away the colorful pottu that you had painstakingly placed on my forehead, after selecting one which finally pleased me. I started crying immediately, shouted at Nikhil, and needless to say, everyone thought I was a brat. The aunty in the house politely offered to give me a new one, which I promptly refused, citing that it didn't match the color of my frock. You discretely pinched me, in a desperate attempt to quieten me, but unfortunately, that only aggravated the situation more. A year later or so, there was another gathering, the naming ceremony of my cousin Ekanath. I made life difficult for you again, this time because the kanmashi you applied to my eyelids had been smudged, making me look like a tiny rakshasi. I hated it, especially since Lily chechi was prettily dressed in her pattu paavadai and I looked hideous compared to her. I cried again, and everybody started asking what had happened. You said, 'Onnum illa', with an embarrassed smile and tried to wash away the smudged kohl. When that didn't work, you tried to quieten me, once again with the Pinch. It only made me bawl out louder. Gosh, I still cannot imagine how much patience you had to deal with all those tantrums! Apart from these pinching incidents, you continued to nurture me, ensured that I did homework, taught me all the spelling rules (I still remember that 'accommodation' has double cots and double mattresses!), saw to it that I had good friends, read out to me bedtime stories... You made sure that I was a happy child.

And then came my teen years. I remember you telling me that I should consider you to be a good friend first, and then only as a mother. You told me, 'No secrets between us, okay?' And I would pour out everything to you- gossip from school, stress about exams, petty incidents amongst friends- and you became my closest confidante. At this stage, we began to have common interests- we teamed against Appa when it came to shopping! We could now share earrings, shoes and sometimes even clothes. You would joke that we were like the mother-daughter duo in that lame Santoor soap ad, where everyone asks them 'sisters aano?'

Of course, we have always had our fights, but you continue to be my best friend. I realize that now, especially since I'm staying outside home. Who else would continue to put up with all my whims and fancies? Who else could I be this free with? Once you observed me talking on the phone to a teacher, and after the conversation, you told me, 'I never knew you could be this polite! How come none of this applies to me?' Amma, that's because there's nobody else in this vast universe like you. Thank you for the miracle of just being in my life. Thank you for bringing solace, happiness and laughter to my 19 years of existence on this planet. Happy birthday, Amma! I love you.

7 comments:

  1. I am touched Sruthi mol:) You are always my best friend. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... That is so sweet!
    And P.S.:- She does look like your sister. :)
    Happy b'day to her from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amma, that's the best I could do to make up for not being home :)

    @Divya, thank you! :) Sure, I'll pass on your wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet :)
    My Best wishes to you Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Ashwini! :) Nice to meet fellow Aquarian bloggers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice post and I am really happy to recall all those instances :)having had the privilege to be there :) You are blessed to have a wonderful mom who is your friend philosopher and guide. When years pass and you have a family, you will appreciate more and more as to what kind of protection and comfort your mom has given you. You will be left wondering every time as to how your parents managed to nurture you and provide the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Karthietta! :) Yeah, I miss Amma so much here at college and it's such a comfort to know that she is always with me :)

    ReplyDelete