Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ten Secrets- 10 Day 'You' Challenge


I came across the 10 Day You Challenge on a number of blogs I've been reading the past few days, and thought it seemed like a good idea. Right now, I'm in one of those moods where I just have to blog something before I get some constructive work done, and I couldn't think of anything else to blog about. Yes, I know Steve Jobs has passed away, the Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to three extraordinary women and the financial crisis seems to be getting worse day by day. Lots of exciting things happening around, but nothing pleases my narcissistic self more than talking about myself to all who care to listen (or read). So here goes...

1) I was born on Appa's star birthday. Appa says I was his best birthday gift. :D A star birthday is determined by the day on which your birth star falls in the Hindu calender. So Appa and I share the same birth star and the same Western zodiac- We're both Aquarians. (I never really understood the difference between a star birthday and a 'real' birthday. No complaints though- I used to get two sets of gifts! Especially new clothes from amooma on my star birthday!)

2) I was named after my paternal grandmother, Krishnaveni. My parents wanted 'Krishna' to be a part of my name, and so they chose Krishna Sruthi. They say they initially chose Tulasi instead of Sruthi, but seems like there was a popular ayurvedic soap called Krishna Tulasi at that time. (Random I know, but hey, that's the point of this post!)

3) I usually feel bad if I've been rude or mean to someone, regardless of whether they were the same to me in the first place. I try to reason with myself that they probably deserve it, but nevertheless my conscience is never at rest.

4) When I was a child, I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. When I later realized that this would involve physics, I switched to more feasible options. I love history, so there was a time when I thought I could make a living as an archeologist. However, that was not to be either. When I was in grade 10, I was inspired by an uncle who is a chartered accountant, and that's why I'm studying accounting today.

5) I'm appalled by the lack of politeness in today's society. Simple phrases like 'Please' and 'Thank you' seem to have vanished. Having said that, there are many people who tell me that I can be exceedingly polite, so much so that it borders on being irritating sometimes. Hmph.

6) I want to be a vegan some day. No specific reason, just that I sometimes feel declaring myself to be a vegetarian and eating cakes, chocolates and eggs seems to be hypocritical. However, each time I think of being vegan, I remember chocolates and a little part of me dies. Maybe that's why this is fixed at 'some day'; seems like wishful thinking even to me.

7) I will never grow tired of reading Roald Dahl and Ruskin Bond. I can always count on Roald Dahl's Going Solo to lift me out of a bad mood. And there was a Ruskin Bond story called The Black Cat which we had as a lesson in Grade 5. I still remember the story- it revolves around a black cat that got lost and how its owner came to claim it. The owner, Miss Bellows, turns out to be a witch in the end, and she leaves with this song:
'With the darkness around me growing
And the moon behind my hat;
You will soon have trouble knowing
Which is witch and witch's cat'.
I remember reading the story over and over again, awed and fascinated. Ruskin Bond is a genius, I tell you!

8) Appa, Amma and I must have been the only people to stay in Dehra Dun for a year, and still not make it to Mussoorie, which is a mere hour's drive away.

9) I am a 'quote hanger'. I simply love quotes. Whenever I'm bored or depressed, you can see me googling for quotes.

10) I associate books with memories. Each book on my shelf back home has a special incident associated with it. Appa and Amma usually write down something in the books they give me, so it becomes dearer to me, and that's why I'm so possessive about my books. I still remember, I got a copy of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for beating Appa in a game of Scrabble!

There, now that I'm done I can get back to doing constructive work at last.

7 comments:

  1. Ruskin Bond is my inspiration. If I can ever write even one line as inspiring, yet simple, as he does, then I will call myself a writer.
    And Roald Dahl is bloody brilliant! I'e read stories of his before going to bed and ended up not sleeping all night because I was spooked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, spaceman spiff, Ruskin Bond is such an inspiration! Hahaa, I still read Roald Dahl when am back home,and those Quentin Blake illustrations blend in so well with the plot, almost like how you've imagined the characters to be in your mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I find out the reason behind your name. After I reply to the comment you left on my blog.

    Note to self: Go to commenter's blog and check out for hints.
    *Facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me R.K.Narayanan also adds to the likes of Rusbin Bond.

    Nice post molu. Good travel down the memory lane. i still remember how all of us were discussing abour your name and were in a dilemma between Tulasi and Sruthi.Finally that Ad which ends like this....Krishna Tulasi-Ayurvedic Toiler Soap sealed the fate of that name. And we decided your name as Krishna Sruthi instead of Krishna Tulasi.

    For a long time you used to say your name is KrishnaSruthi ChinnenChen(Srivalsan) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vinitha, hahaa, almost every single person asks me that question! Some people prefer to call me Krishna (they say it helps them remember God apparently, or because it's the first part of my name); some prefer Sruthi- Either one works for me! Thank you for dropping by my blog! And yes, mallus ftw :D

    @Karthi etta, LOL you actually remember all that. wow! Oh, yes I liked RK Narayanan too, although I haven't read many of his works- there's one called The Emerald Route which I've been longing to read for a long time. Also, I was beginning to miss your comments on this blog. Thank you so much for resuming it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL they name you like the royal family of England too huh :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha; it's not a tradition in my family, I'm the only exception. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ten Secrets- 10 Day 'You' Challenge


I came across the 10 Day You Challenge on a number of blogs I've been reading the past few days, and thought it seemed like a good idea. Right now, I'm in one of those moods where I just have to blog something before I get some constructive work done, and I couldn't think of anything else to blog about. Yes, I know Steve Jobs has passed away, the Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to three extraordinary women and the financial crisis seems to be getting worse day by day. Lots of exciting things happening around, but nothing pleases my narcissistic self more than talking about myself to all who care to listen (or read). So here goes...

1) I was born on Appa's star birthday. Appa says I was his best birthday gift. :D A star birthday is determined by the day on which your birth star falls in the Hindu calender. So Appa and I share the same birth star and the same Western zodiac- We're both Aquarians. (I never really understood the difference between a star birthday and a 'real' birthday. No complaints though- I used to get two sets of gifts! Especially new clothes from amooma on my star birthday!)

2) I was named after my paternal grandmother, Krishnaveni. My parents wanted 'Krishna' to be a part of my name, and so they chose Krishna Sruthi. They say they initially chose Tulasi instead of Sruthi, but seems like there was a popular ayurvedic soap called Krishna Tulasi at that time. (Random I know, but hey, that's the point of this post!)

3) I usually feel bad if I've been rude or mean to someone, regardless of whether they were the same to me in the first place. I try to reason with myself that they probably deserve it, but nevertheless my conscience is never at rest.

4) When I was a child, I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. When I later realized that this would involve physics, I switched to more feasible options. I love history, so there was a time when I thought I could make a living as an archeologist. However, that was not to be either. When I was in grade 10, I was inspired by an uncle who is a chartered accountant, and that's why I'm studying accounting today.

5) I'm appalled by the lack of politeness in today's society. Simple phrases like 'Please' and 'Thank you' seem to have vanished. Having said that, there are many people who tell me that I can be exceedingly polite, so much so that it borders on being irritating sometimes. Hmph.

6) I want to be a vegan some day. No specific reason, just that I sometimes feel declaring myself to be a vegetarian and eating cakes, chocolates and eggs seems to be hypocritical. However, each time I think of being vegan, I remember chocolates and a little part of me dies. Maybe that's why this is fixed at 'some day'; seems like wishful thinking even to me.

7) I will never grow tired of reading Roald Dahl and Ruskin Bond. I can always count on Roald Dahl's Going Solo to lift me out of a bad mood. And there was a Ruskin Bond story called The Black Cat which we had as a lesson in Grade 5. I still remember the story- it revolves around a black cat that got lost and how its owner came to claim it. The owner, Miss Bellows, turns out to be a witch in the end, and she leaves with this song:
'With the darkness around me growing
And the moon behind my hat;
You will soon have trouble knowing
Which is witch and witch's cat'.
I remember reading the story over and over again, awed and fascinated. Ruskin Bond is a genius, I tell you!

8) Appa, Amma and I must have been the only people to stay in Dehra Dun for a year, and still not make it to Mussoorie, which is a mere hour's drive away.

9) I am a 'quote hanger'. I simply love quotes. Whenever I'm bored or depressed, you can see me googling for quotes.

10) I associate books with memories. Each book on my shelf back home has a special incident associated with it. Appa and Amma usually write down something in the books they give me, so it becomes dearer to me, and that's why I'm so possessive about my books. I still remember, I got a copy of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for beating Appa in a game of Scrabble!

There, now that I'm done I can get back to doing constructive work at last.

7 comments:

  1. Ruskin Bond is my inspiration. If I can ever write even one line as inspiring, yet simple, as he does, then I will call myself a writer.
    And Roald Dahl is bloody brilliant! I'e read stories of his before going to bed and ended up not sleeping all night because I was spooked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, spaceman spiff, Ruskin Bond is such an inspiration! Hahaa, I still read Roald Dahl when am back home,and those Quentin Blake illustrations blend in so well with the plot, almost like how you've imagined the characters to be in your mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I find out the reason behind your name. After I reply to the comment you left on my blog.

    Note to self: Go to commenter's blog and check out for hints.
    *Facepalm*

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me R.K.Narayanan also adds to the likes of Rusbin Bond.

    Nice post molu. Good travel down the memory lane. i still remember how all of us were discussing abour your name and were in a dilemma between Tulasi and Sruthi.Finally that Ad which ends like this....Krishna Tulasi-Ayurvedic Toiler Soap sealed the fate of that name. And we decided your name as Krishna Sruthi instead of Krishna Tulasi.

    For a long time you used to say your name is KrishnaSruthi ChinnenChen(Srivalsan) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Vinitha, hahaa, almost every single person asks me that question! Some people prefer to call me Krishna (they say it helps them remember God apparently, or because it's the first part of my name); some prefer Sruthi- Either one works for me! Thank you for dropping by my blog! And yes, mallus ftw :D

    @Karthi etta, LOL you actually remember all that. wow! Oh, yes I liked RK Narayanan too, although I haven't read many of his works- there's one called The Emerald Route which I've been longing to read for a long time. Also, I was beginning to miss your comments on this blog. Thank you so much for resuming it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL they name you like the royal family of England too huh :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha; it's not a tradition in my family, I'm the only exception. :)

    ReplyDelete