Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What Does a Headache Prove?

I'm having a terrible headache as I'm typing this out. In fact, it (seems weird calling my head 'it') started aching a few hours ago, in the evening, when I was trying to work on a group report with a friend. Anyway, that's besides the point. Yes, I have a headache. It means I should either be asleep or should be ignoring it, and trying to work. But since I'm so good at wasting time recognizing times when I'm bound to be unproductive, I decided to write about it. Moreover, headaches also remind me of something, which shall be revealed to you soon, assuming you haven't closed the tab out of sheer boredom already.

Many people use the I-have-a-headache excuse. It's one of the most overused tactics, so much so that I feel people are skeptical even if you happen to have a real headache. Well, I for one, have never used it. Err, maybe just once or twice. You see, it helps to grab attention.

As an only child, there used to be times when I had become so used to being the center of my parents' attention. (Don't you dare call me a spoilt brat!) So much so that, I sometimes felt that their busy work lives were competition for me. I felt this most during the long study holidays, before the All Important CBSE Class 10 and 12 exams. I would be alone at home all day, working hard, and as soon as Amma and Appa came back home, I would say, 'God! Terrible headache. Been studying all day long!'

Amma would beam with pride and say, 'Wonderful da! (don't know why she doesn't use di instead) You got up early no, that's why you're having a headache!' Satisfied that I had received the required attention, I would nod. Appa, on the other hand, was more difficult to discern. When he wouldn't respond to my complaint, I would raise my voice and shout it again. Till he would turn to look at me and say, 'Aarku vendi?' (meaning, for whom are you waking up to study) Indirectly asking me to stop putting on a show.

So what does a headache prove? I can almost imagine Amma telling me, 'Moluma, apply some Tiger Balm and sleep. You can study later'. So to Amma, it proves that I'm tired, and have been working hard (err, at least it gives her that notion, although for all you know, I might have been hardly working) and am in dire need of rest.

For Appa, it's a totally different story. This is how the conversation goes.

Me (trying to sound tired and weak): Appa, severe splitting headache!
Appa : Phew! Am relieved
Me (aghast): Relieved? What for?
Appa : No, it proves something. Thank God!
Me: Proves what?
Appa : Proves you still have a head!
Me: >.<

Oh no, writing about this makes me miss Appa all the more now, especially since this rotten headache shows no sign of disappearing. So, I'll end this post with one of my favorite pictures of Appa and me. Despite the fact that it's a little shaky and I'm wearing an absolutely incongruous looking scarf, I think it's a cute appanum molum pic (even if I say so myself) :D




6 comments:

  1. Didn't know that a headache could have such stories...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud one, Shruthi and a lovely picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehe cute Daddy you got thr...heheheh You really proved that you got a head :P
    Love the picta! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahhahahhahhaha.. i guess its the same dialog everywhere..!!! :D
    headache atleast proves you have a head..!! hahahaha :)
    nice blog btw.. now off to read your other posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your having a headache results in a post like this, I pray that you are plagued by headache. Nice post and blog.

    Parents come up with the choicest of one liners to shut us up don't they? Mine are no better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kanthu, haha yup, you discover all sorts of interesting things just when you're about to start studying!

    @Sindhu ma'am, thank you ma'am! :)

    @Red Handed, I do have a head! Just that it gets muddled a little too often :P

    @Nick, Thank you! :) Appreciate your reading my blog!!

    @Atrocious,Thanks a lot! :D Yes,in my case, Appa, especially, comes up with things like this to keep me quiet!

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What Does a Headache Prove?

I'm having a terrible headache as I'm typing this out. In fact, it (seems weird calling my head 'it') started aching a few hours ago, in the evening, when I was trying to work on a group report with a friend. Anyway, that's besides the point. Yes, I have a headache. It means I should either be asleep or should be ignoring it, and trying to work. But since I'm so good at wasting time recognizing times when I'm bound to be unproductive, I decided to write about it. Moreover, headaches also remind me of something, which shall be revealed to you soon, assuming you haven't closed the tab out of sheer boredom already.

Many people use the I-have-a-headache excuse. It's one of the most overused tactics, so much so that I feel people are skeptical even if you happen to have a real headache. Well, I for one, have never used it. Err, maybe just once or twice. You see, it helps to grab attention.

As an only child, there used to be times when I had become so used to being the center of my parents' attention. (Don't you dare call me a spoilt brat!) So much so that, I sometimes felt that their busy work lives were competition for me. I felt this most during the long study holidays, before the All Important CBSE Class 10 and 12 exams. I would be alone at home all day, working hard, and as soon as Amma and Appa came back home, I would say, 'God! Terrible headache. Been studying all day long!'

Amma would beam with pride and say, 'Wonderful da! (don't know why she doesn't use di instead) You got up early no, that's why you're having a headache!' Satisfied that I had received the required attention, I would nod. Appa, on the other hand, was more difficult to discern. When he wouldn't respond to my complaint, I would raise my voice and shout it again. Till he would turn to look at me and say, 'Aarku vendi?' (meaning, for whom are you waking up to study) Indirectly asking me to stop putting on a show.

So what does a headache prove? I can almost imagine Amma telling me, 'Moluma, apply some Tiger Balm and sleep. You can study later'. So to Amma, it proves that I'm tired, and have been working hard (err, at least it gives her that notion, although for all you know, I might have been hardly working) and am in dire need of rest.

For Appa, it's a totally different story. This is how the conversation goes.

Me (trying to sound tired and weak): Appa, severe splitting headache!
Appa : Phew! Am relieved
Me (aghast): Relieved? What for?
Appa : No, it proves something. Thank God!
Me: Proves what?
Appa : Proves you still have a head!
Me: >.<

Oh no, writing about this makes me miss Appa all the more now, especially since this rotten headache shows no sign of disappearing. So, I'll end this post with one of my favorite pictures of Appa and me. Despite the fact that it's a little shaky and I'm wearing an absolutely incongruous looking scarf, I think it's a cute appanum molum pic (even if I say so myself) :D




6 comments:

  1. Didn't know that a headache could have such stories...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud one, Shruthi and a lovely picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehe cute Daddy you got thr...heheheh You really proved that you got a head :P
    Love the picta! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahhahahhahhaha.. i guess its the same dialog everywhere..!!! :D
    headache atleast proves you have a head..!! hahahaha :)
    nice blog btw.. now off to read your other posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your having a headache results in a post like this, I pray that you are plagued by headache. Nice post and blog.

    Parents come up with the choicest of one liners to shut us up don't they? Mine are no better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kanthu, haha yup, you discover all sorts of interesting things just when you're about to start studying!

    @Sindhu ma'am, thank you ma'am! :)

    @Red Handed, I do have a head! Just that it gets muddled a little too often :P

    @Nick, Thank you! :) Appreciate your reading my blog!!

    @Atrocious,Thanks a lot! :D Yes,in my case, Appa, especially, comes up with things like this to keep me quiet!

    ReplyDelete