Monday, December 5, 2011

Seven Wants- The 10 Day 'You' Challenge

It's been nearly a week since I last blogged. So ironical how I would want to blog just a few days before the exams, and now when I'm absolutely free, I seem to have arrived at that annoying phase where you want to write, but are absolutely clueless about what to write on. Then, I suddenly remembered this challenge that I had left uncompleted. In case you're keen to start at the very beginning, you can read Ten Secrets, Nine Loves and Eight Fears. So, here goes!

1) To be successful in my career. Obviously, this is something that each one of us aspires to achieve. However, the answer to what success really is differs from person to person. For example, as a child, I thought that to be successful as a modern, independent woman, focused on her career would mean lots of fashionable clothes, make up and high heels. Then, at high school, I thought that success equaled an enviable academic track record, a place in the highly coveted Prefects' Board or Student Council, and to be part of the debating team that brought back all the laurels. When I did my internship this summer, I considered encouraging words and a show of appreciation for my work from my audit manager to be signs of success. Looking back, these 'definitions' of success are not wrong. However, I have realized that in each case, I considered myself to be successful, if I had simply done my best. There have been times, when I have not been successful (so to speak), but by virtue of simply doing my best, I have already achieved success. In the long run, that's what I want - simply to be able to give everything my very best shot!

2) To teach at a rural school. Sometimes, as I think about how I can really make a difference and give back to society, teaching comes to my mind. Maybe it's because both Amma and Appa began their respective careers with teaching. I would really love to teach at the grass roots level, somewhere back in India, and it would hopefully help bring in some change. (I know this sounds idealistic, but then we all live by dreams!) A couple of years ago, I spent a fortnight teaching at the Isha Vidhya Rural School on the outskirts of Coimbatore. (I blogged about my experience here.) Ever since then, I have always felt an intense desire to go back to Isha Vidhya. God willing, one day I will be able to do so... I cannot wait for that day to come!

3) To write a book. This has been a dream for many many years now. As a child, I used to write silly stories in black ink and pretend that it's been published. I would even sign the book to give it to my imaginary fans! :D

4) To get a dog, with specific preference for a Golden Retriever or a Labrador. It's so true when they say that 'a dog is the only creature on earth that will love you more than it loves itself'. And of course, in the bargain, you get a best friend!

5) To learn how to sing. When I was in primary school, I used to be part of the school choir, and later, I used to sing bhajans at small prayer gatherings. I sometimes regret that I never took singing seriously, and wish that I had pursued it. Now of course, I have lost touch- when I try to sing a favorite bhajan, Appa asks me 'What were you saying just now?' Hmph. I really really want to learn this art some day.

6) To learn Arabic and Mandarin. I spent seven years of my school life in the Middle East, and yet, I've really not learnt Arabic. I spent three years in Bahrain, where it was not necessary to learn Arabic. Then, we shifted to the Emirates where it was compulsory to study the language at school. However, it was very basic Arabic, and once I finished grade 10, my association with the language also ended. Today, although I can read the script, my spoken language remains limited to a few basic phrases and I can hardly understand when it is being spoken. I wish I had adopted a more enthusiastic attitude towards learning the language, back in my Arabic lessons with Arif sir and later, abla Sameera. *sigh* I would also like to learn Mandarin- I'm hoping that staying in Singapore will give me an opportunity for that in the near future!

7) A house in the mountains. Having spent the first few years of my childhood in Ooty, I have this unexplainable love for the mountains- first the Nilgiris in Ooty, then the Himalayan foothills in Dehra Dun, and now the Hajjar Mountains in Fujairah. I often dream of a little house where I can gaze at the mountains, out of the window and write away to my heart's content- much inspiration derived from Ruskin Bond!

It feels great to just put my feet up (quite literally) and read William Dalrymple- and the only question that plagues me (for the time being) is What's for lunch/dinner/tea? :D

2 comments:

  1. Barring the write a book part, everything else you've mentioned here fits my bucket list to the T.

    Are you sure we aren't long lost twins or something? If we are, I call dibs on being the evil twin. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that's cool! There's at least someone else as crazy as I am then :P
    Thank you for coming by :)

    ReplyDelete

Monday, December 5, 2011

Seven Wants- The 10 Day 'You' Challenge

It's been nearly a week since I last blogged. So ironical how I would want to blog just a few days before the exams, and now when I'm absolutely free, I seem to have arrived at that annoying phase where you want to write, but are absolutely clueless about what to write on. Then, I suddenly remembered this challenge that I had left uncompleted. In case you're keen to start at the very beginning, you can read Ten Secrets, Nine Loves and Eight Fears. So, here goes!

1) To be successful in my career. Obviously, this is something that each one of us aspires to achieve. However, the answer to what success really is differs from person to person. For example, as a child, I thought that to be successful as a modern, independent woman, focused on her career would mean lots of fashionable clothes, make up and high heels. Then, at high school, I thought that success equaled an enviable academic track record, a place in the highly coveted Prefects' Board or Student Council, and to be part of the debating team that brought back all the laurels. When I did my internship this summer, I considered encouraging words and a show of appreciation for my work from my audit manager to be signs of success. Looking back, these 'definitions' of success are not wrong. However, I have realized that in each case, I considered myself to be successful, if I had simply done my best. There have been times, when I have not been successful (so to speak), but by virtue of simply doing my best, I have already achieved success. In the long run, that's what I want - simply to be able to give everything my very best shot!

2) To teach at a rural school. Sometimes, as I think about how I can really make a difference and give back to society, teaching comes to my mind. Maybe it's because both Amma and Appa began their respective careers with teaching. I would really love to teach at the grass roots level, somewhere back in India, and it would hopefully help bring in some change. (I know this sounds idealistic, but then we all live by dreams!) A couple of years ago, I spent a fortnight teaching at the Isha Vidhya Rural School on the outskirts of Coimbatore. (I blogged about my experience here.) Ever since then, I have always felt an intense desire to go back to Isha Vidhya. God willing, one day I will be able to do so... I cannot wait for that day to come!

3) To write a book. This has been a dream for many many years now. As a child, I used to write silly stories in black ink and pretend that it's been published. I would even sign the book to give it to my imaginary fans! :D

4) To get a dog, with specific preference for a Golden Retriever or a Labrador. It's so true when they say that 'a dog is the only creature on earth that will love you more than it loves itself'. And of course, in the bargain, you get a best friend!

5) To learn how to sing. When I was in primary school, I used to be part of the school choir, and later, I used to sing bhajans at small prayer gatherings. I sometimes regret that I never took singing seriously, and wish that I had pursued it. Now of course, I have lost touch- when I try to sing a favorite bhajan, Appa asks me 'What were you saying just now?' Hmph. I really really want to learn this art some day.

6) To learn Arabic and Mandarin. I spent seven years of my school life in the Middle East, and yet, I've really not learnt Arabic. I spent three years in Bahrain, where it was not necessary to learn Arabic. Then, we shifted to the Emirates where it was compulsory to study the language at school. However, it was very basic Arabic, and once I finished grade 10, my association with the language also ended. Today, although I can read the script, my spoken language remains limited to a few basic phrases and I can hardly understand when it is being spoken. I wish I had adopted a more enthusiastic attitude towards learning the language, back in my Arabic lessons with Arif sir and later, abla Sameera. *sigh* I would also like to learn Mandarin- I'm hoping that staying in Singapore will give me an opportunity for that in the near future!

7) A house in the mountains. Having spent the first few years of my childhood in Ooty, I have this unexplainable love for the mountains- first the Nilgiris in Ooty, then the Himalayan foothills in Dehra Dun, and now the Hajjar Mountains in Fujairah. I often dream of a little house where I can gaze at the mountains, out of the window and write away to my heart's content- much inspiration derived from Ruskin Bond!

It feels great to just put my feet up (quite literally) and read William Dalrymple- and the only question that plagues me (for the time being) is What's for lunch/dinner/tea? :D

2 comments:

  1. Barring the write a book part, everything else you've mentioned here fits my bucket list to the T.

    Are you sure we aren't long lost twins or something? If we are, I call dibs on being the evil twin. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that's cool! There's at least someone else as crazy as I am then :P
    Thank you for coming by :)

    ReplyDelete