Saturday, January 28, 2012

Birthday Wishes for Appa

Today is my Appa's birthday. I returned yesterday, back to university, after a long break, and as I see the yet to be unpacked bags around me, I realize that the pangs of homesickness have not completely disappeared, despite this being my sixth semester. I guess it's more so because of today's significance. Birthdays at home are quite modest occasions. Special prayers, maybe a payasam or a meal out, and a gift or two for the one celebrating it- quiet celebrations that fill you with warmth and contentment, and they soon become memories that you continue to cherish. I just wanted to pen down something for my dear Appa. So here goes...

You taught me to ride my bike,
Reassuring me when I was scared.
In the Nilgiri Hills, we would often hike,
Guiding me along, you always cared.
You told me stories to make me smile,
You encouraged me to read and speak out.
As I walked on, mile after mile,
You were always with me, throughout.
To me the virtues of hard work you taught,
Moulded my faith in Him, from whom all help could be sought,
You taught me to chase away my fears
You held me and wiped all my tears.
As I make my journey into an unknown world
I miss you, Appa, but I am comforted to know
That you are with me,
Each step of the way.

Happy Birthday Appa! Your presence in my life is a miracle, one that I thank God for, every single day. :)

4 comments:

  1. Very warm and touching... My best wishes to you and your Appa too... :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unique and sweet is what the Father-Daughter bond is.

    My birthday wishes to your Appa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words, Sruthi! Happy Birthday to your dad from me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Asha aunty, thank you so much for dropping by my blog! Hope to see you here often, haha :)

    @AS and Sumitra, thank you so much for the wishes :)

    ReplyDelete

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Birthday Wishes for Appa

Today is my Appa's birthday. I returned yesterday, back to university, after a long break, and as I see the yet to be unpacked bags around me, I realize that the pangs of homesickness have not completely disappeared, despite this being my sixth semester. I guess it's more so because of today's significance. Birthdays at home are quite modest occasions. Special prayers, maybe a payasam or a meal out, and a gift or two for the one celebrating it- quiet celebrations that fill you with warmth and contentment, and they soon become memories that you continue to cherish. I just wanted to pen down something for my dear Appa. So here goes...

You taught me to ride my bike,
Reassuring me when I was scared.
In the Nilgiri Hills, we would often hike,
Guiding me along, you always cared.
You told me stories to make me smile,
You encouraged me to read and speak out.
As I walked on, mile after mile,
You were always with me, throughout.
To me the virtues of hard work you taught,
Moulded my faith in Him, from whom all help could be sought,
You taught me to chase away my fears
You held me and wiped all my tears.
As I make my journey into an unknown world
I miss you, Appa, but I am comforted to know
That you are with me,
Each step of the way.

Happy Birthday Appa! Your presence in my life is a miracle, one that I thank God for, every single day. :)

4 comments:

  1. Very warm and touching... My best wishes to you and your Appa too... :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unique and sweet is what the Father-Daughter bond is.

    My birthday wishes to your Appa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words, Sruthi! Happy Birthday to your dad from me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Asha aunty, thank you so much for dropping by my blog! Hope to see you here often, haha :)

    @AS and Sumitra, thank you so much for the wishes :)

    ReplyDelete