Thursday, February 9, 2012

Birthday Wisdom

This post is long overdue, given that my twentieth 'birth-anniversary' (my best friend declared that the term 'birthday' is rather misplaced, given that it is just an anniversary of our entry to the world, and not the actual day of birth) was nearly a week ago. But I'm still feeling rather birthday-ish and so I decided to jot down all the wisdom I have gained in these past two decades, before this feeling wears off.

1) Be thankful. Gratitude can really work wonders. It makes you smile at life, and keeps you going, no matter what. Each time things seem to be going wrong, I try to count my blessings, and that definitely helps revive my spirit.

2) Take things in your stride. You are bound to make mistakes, meet 'failure' and sometimes, make a fool of yourself. Once in a while, you are bound to meet people who can bully you, put you down or are unreasonably mean to you. You shouldn't get affected by that. Last summer, when I was doing an audit internship, my manager was discussing how unhelpful and uncooperative certain clients could be- he told me that these clients, owing to the pressures of their job and the simple fact that their work is being audited, could be rude. But, he continued, the important point to note is that you should simply take it in your stride and move on.

3) Practise humility. My parents have taught me ever since I can remember to remain humble. Humility doesn't mean that you're being meek or submissive. On the other hand, it just means that you are not drunk with the power that success often brings. It means being firmly rooted to the ground, and not having your head high up in the air. It means being able to recognize other people, and genuinely appreciate them, and it helps to destroy ego. Looking back at certain instances in my life last year, every time I felt aggrieved or hurt by someone, I tried to remain humble. Let's say someone accused you of doing a wrong you have not committed- your ego is bound to be ruffled, and that in itself is a Pandora's box, releasing a whole series of further troubles. On the other hand, try to think of it as a lesson in humility- Explain calmly that the mistake was not your fault, but do not get unduly aggressive. Humility can indeed help you take things in your stride!

4) Enjoy the process; do not chase results. Well, this is something I have been trying to do for quite sometime. But invariably, I ended up running the rat race, furious in my efforts to be the best, the smartest, the most hard working, the most successful. I'm still caught in the rat race, but I have learnt that it's quite futile to chase results. When your sole goal is the result, you lose track of the process and in the end, you not only lose the goal, but also the way to the goal. Comparing my academic performance in the past years, I realize that I have done my best in those modules I genuinely enjoyed. In those modules, I did not think of the results, because I was too busy enjoying the lessons. It's time for me to change my attitude to certain modules, and make it a point to forget the results, so that I can extract the true essence of those lessons. This wisdom is the core of the Gita. The Lord told Arjuna the warrior, on the battlegrounds at Kurukshetra:
“Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani”
You must perform your duty, but you should not expect the results of those actions!

5) I believe that when faith is your foundation, you cannot falter. Looking at things from a deeper view, isn't life all about faith? For instance, we go to sleep each night, believing that we will wake up the next morning. In the same way, faith in the Creator is what keeps me going. 'Take pride (not arrogance) in how far you've come; Have faith in how far you can go'- this has now become my mantra! :)

8 comments:

  1. Very deep thoughts indeed on gratitude, humility and faith. Having faith in how far you can go is indeed the best way to look forward.
    Liked you writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, deferred brilliance! Thanks for visiting my blog. Faith, indeed, is the very basis of life. Hope to see you more here! :)

      Delete
  2. What would life be, without faith and hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Without faith and hope, life would cease to be what it is. Thanks for your comment, Spiff! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of wisdom for just 20 years, Sruthi! I must say that the fourth has been the toughest for me. It's just next to impossible not to expect results, especially when you've worked so hard or it means so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaa, a little contemplation led me to write this, sumitra. But yes, I agree with you- it's *so* tough to simply let go and work sans expectations. Need to constantly remind oneself to at least try and be dispassionate.

      Delete
  4. That's some pretty deep but very practical wisdom which we could all do with in our lives.

    Are you sure you're just 20?? Cause you sound like The Oracle from the Matrix - deep and profound :P.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Two decades are enough to gather all that so called wisdom, right? But it's a totally different issue to apply it, and that's where it's a bit of a struggle. Thanks a lot, AS, for reading this one :)

      Delete

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Birthday Wisdom

This post is long overdue, given that my twentieth 'birth-anniversary' (my best friend declared that the term 'birthday' is rather misplaced, given that it is just an anniversary of our entry to the world, and not the actual day of birth) was nearly a week ago. But I'm still feeling rather birthday-ish and so I decided to jot down all the wisdom I have gained in these past two decades, before this feeling wears off.

1) Be thankful. Gratitude can really work wonders. It makes you smile at life, and keeps you going, no matter what. Each time things seem to be going wrong, I try to count my blessings, and that definitely helps revive my spirit.

2) Take things in your stride. You are bound to make mistakes, meet 'failure' and sometimes, make a fool of yourself. Once in a while, you are bound to meet people who can bully you, put you down or are unreasonably mean to you. You shouldn't get affected by that. Last summer, when I was doing an audit internship, my manager was discussing how unhelpful and uncooperative certain clients could be- he told me that these clients, owing to the pressures of their job and the simple fact that their work is being audited, could be rude. But, he continued, the important point to note is that you should simply take it in your stride and move on.

3) Practise humility. My parents have taught me ever since I can remember to remain humble. Humility doesn't mean that you're being meek or submissive. On the other hand, it just means that you are not drunk with the power that success often brings. It means being firmly rooted to the ground, and not having your head high up in the air. It means being able to recognize other people, and genuinely appreciate them, and it helps to destroy ego. Looking back at certain instances in my life last year, every time I felt aggrieved or hurt by someone, I tried to remain humble. Let's say someone accused you of doing a wrong you have not committed- your ego is bound to be ruffled, and that in itself is a Pandora's box, releasing a whole series of further troubles. On the other hand, try to think of it as a lesson in humility- Explain calmly that the mistake was not your fault, but do not get unduly aggressive. Humility can indeed help you take things in your stride!

4) Enjoy the process; do not chase results. Well, this is something I have been trying to do for quite sometime. But invariably, I ended up running the rat race, furious in my efforts to be the best, the smartest, the most hard working, the most successful. I'm still caught in the rat race, but I have learnt that it's quite futile to chase results. When your sole goal is the result, you lose track of the process and in the end, you not only lose the goal, but also the way to the goal. Comparing my academic performance in the past years, I realize that I have done my best in those modules I genuinely enjoyed. In those modules, I did not think of the results, because I was too busy enjoying the lessons. It's time for me to change my attitude to certain modules, and make it a point to forget the results, so that I can extract the true essence of those lessons. This wisdom is the core of the Gita. The Lord told Arjuna the warrior, on the battlegrounds at Kurukshetra:
“Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani”
You must perform your duty, but you should not expect the results of those actions!

5) I believe that when faith is your foundation, you cannot falter. Looking at things from a deeper view, isn't life all about faith? For instance, we go to sleep each night, believing that we will wake up the next morning. In the same way, faith in the Creator is what keeps me going. 'Take pride (not arrogance) in how far you've come; Have faith in how far you can go'- this has now become my mantra! :)

8 comments:

  1. Very deep thoughts indeed on gratitude, humility and faith. Having faith in how far you can go is indeed the best way to look forward.
    Liked you writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, deferred brilliance! Thanks for visiting my blog. Faith, indeed, is the very basis of life. Hope to see you more here! :)

      Delete
  2. What would life be, without faith and hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Without faith and hope, life would cease to be what it is. Thanks for your comment, Spiff! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of wisdom for just 20 years, Sruthi! I must say that the fourth has been the toughest for me. It's just next to impossible not to expect results, especially when you've worked so hard or it means so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaaa, a little contemplation led me to write this, sumitra. But yes, I agree with you- it's *so* tough to simply let go and work sans expectations. Need to constantly remind oneself to at least try and be dispassionate.

      Delete
  4. That's some pretty deep but very practical wisdom which we could all do with in our lives.

    Are you sure you're just 20?? Cause you sound like The Oracle from the Matrix - deep and profound :P.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Two decades are enough to gather all that so called wisdom, right? But it's a totally different issue to apply it, and that's where it's a bit of a struggle. Thanks a lot, AS, for reading this one :)

      Delete