Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Roses and All That Stuff

I never thought I would end up writing on something even remotely connected to Valentines' Day- But, here you go, I finally have something related to the so called V Day! Growing up, my parents had always knocked common sense into my head whenever it began floating up in the clouds, and hence I find this concept of hearts, chocolates, roses and teddy bears rather silly. (No offence meant to those who like them! I like chocolates and teddy bears and all too, but seriously, not in this context.) Suffice to say, I find Valentines' Day quite over rated, and this year would be no exception, I thought.

The campus was filled with posters, beckoning people to buy roses and all the other stuff for their loved ones. Some girls were carrying flowers; some of them quite giggly and blushing away. This kind of mushy stuff used to make me go 'awwww' once upon a time. Not any more. So, after my classes, I decided to get a cup of tea and get some work done, before attending my group meeting later in the evening.

I sat in the cafeteria, with my tea and books for company. I tried to look at the text in my corporate law textbook, but my mind kept wandering to the quiz in accounting theory that I had taken a little while earlier. Unable to concentrate, I finally fished out my copy of William Dalrymple's From the Holy Mountain (which I'm still reading!). I was so engrossed, I didn't notice two people approaching me. When they said hello, I nearly jumped. They sheepishly apologized for scaring me, and went on to introduce themselves- two fellow college mates, from another faculty, they were part of a faith group on campus. One of them was a girl and she explained to me that today being Valentines' Day, they were just spreading God's love. I had no idea what it was all about, but before I could question further, she handed me a paper rose, beautifully crafted. And she said, 'This is just to remind you that no matter what, God always loves you'. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and after they left, I was touched. This V Day, my feelings have changed- from suspicion to admiration to pure joy! :)

10 comments:

  1. I loved the paper rose concept and the words attached to them. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very thoughtful, touching deed! Thanks, CS, for coming by this one :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Interesting concept. And I love your template.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly a nice gesture. Thanks, Zeba for dropping by my blog! Hope to see you more in this space :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, thats pretty much a very cool thing to do :) Glad u had a memorable V Day.. am sure u'd remember this fr quite a while :).. as will us readers :)

    N ya, I kinda agree that V Day is pretty over rated.. I checked for a buncha roses on the day n prices shot up to five times the usual cost.. think its just becoming way too commercialized n honestly, not really worth it :)

    But this is a real nice n heart warming gesture on the part of that girl n guy :)

    Nice one, Sruthi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point- prices shoot 5 times over, just for one day?! But I guess almost everything has sadly become more commercialized. :/
      But like you said, this V Day memory will go a long way, thanks to their heart warming gesture. Thanks so much, Raj :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, that is just so sweet. Glad you had such a nice experience on Valentine's day. This reminds me of the time when I was sitting with my mom in a mall having some coffee, and a random woman walked up to her and handed her a rose, because she looked beautiful. That was really surprising and sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, sumitra- that gesture was really really heart warming. Happy to note incidents like this still happen- gives me hope and reason to trust in the basic goodness of each person :)

      Delete

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Roses and All That Stuff

I never thought I would end up writing on something even remotely connected to Valentines' Day- But, here you go, I finally have something related to the so called V Day! Growing up, my parents had always knocked common sense into my head whenever it began floating up in the clouds, and hence I find this concept of hearts, chocolates, roses and teddy bears rather silly. (No offence meant to those who like them! I like chocolates and teddy bears and all too, but seriously, not in this context.) Suffice to say, I find Valentines' Day quite over rated, and this year would be no exception, I thought.

The campus was filled with posters, beckoning people to buy roses and all the other stuff for their loved ones. Some girls were carrying flowers; some of them quite giggly and blushing away. This kind of mushy stuff used to make me go 'awwww' once upon a time. Not any more. So, after my classes, I decided to get a cup of tea and get some work done, before attending my group meeting later in the evening.

I sat in the cafeteria, with my tea and books for company. I tried to look at the text in my corporate law textbook, but my mind kept wandering to the quiz in accounting theory that I had taken a little while earlier. Unable to concentrate, I finally fished out my copy of William Dalrymple's From the Holy Mountain (which I'm still reading!). I was so engrossed, I didn't notice two people approaching me. When they said hello, I nearly jumped. They sheepishly apologized for scaring me, and went on to introduce themselves- two fellow college mates, from another faculty, they were part of a faith group on campus. One of them was a girl and she explained to me that today being Valentines' Day, they were just spreading God's love. I had no idea what it was all about, but before I could question further, she handed me a paper rose, beautifully crafted. And she said, 'This is just to remind you that no matter what, God always loves you'. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and after they left, I was touched. This V Day, my feelings have changed- from suspicion to admiration to pure joy! :)

10 comments:

  1. I loved the paper rose concept and the words attached to them. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very thoughtful, touching deed! Thanks, CS, for coming by this one :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. Interesting concept. And I love your template.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly a nice gesture. Thanks, Zeba for dropping by my blog! Hope to see you more in this space :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, thats pretty much a very cool thing to do :) Glad u had a memorable V Day.. am sure u'd remember this fr quite a while :).. as will us readers :)

    N ya, I kinda agree that V Day is pretty over rated.. I checked for a buncha roses on the day n prices shot up to five times the usual cost.. think its just becoming way too commercialized n honestly, not really worth it :)

    But this is a real nice n heart warming gesture on the part of that girl n guy :)

    Nice one, Sruthi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point- prices shoot 5 times over, just for one day?! But I guess almost everything has sadly become more commercialized. :/
      But like you said, this V Day memory will go a long way, thanks to their heart warming gesture. Thanks so much, Raj :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, that is just so sweet. Glad you had such a nice experience on Valentine's day. This reminds me of the time when I was sitting with my mom in a mall having some coffee, and a random woman walked up to her and handed her a rose, because she looked beautiful. That was really surprising and sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, sumitra- that gesture was really really heart warming. Happy to note incidents like this still happen- gives me hope and reason to trust in the basic goodness of each person :)

      Delete