Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Heel That Gave Me Hell

When I came back home for the holidays, the first thing I noticed as I went around inspecting the changes made in my absence was a pair of absolutely elegant Marie Claire shoes, perched on the shoe shelf. Knowing only too well whose they could be, I decided to try them on- and whoa, they fit me like a glove! As soon as I tried them, Amma, who had been watching me, said 'They're MINE'. This is the problem when you have a mother whom most people mistake to be your older sister- I end up sneaking away her shoes, watches and at times, even clothes...till she realizes I've got her stuff on. This time, however, I had Appa on my side. He looked at the shoes and declared that they fit me the best- Amma, being a trifle shorter than me would need the next smaller size. Now, she definitely couldn't deny this and so, grudgingly, allowed me to use (use, not own) them.

I loved those shoes. They made me feel all grown up and professional. So, every time I went out, I would don those beautiful shoes. As I walked, listening to the clickety klack of the heels, I would actually feel important. It does seem rather shallow and superficial, but I really cannot deny that wearing those shoes gave my ego a boost. Then, as the holidays came to an end, I was presented with a dilemma- I definitely couldn't take back these shoes along with the others I had packed, so Amma and I reached a compromise- we decided to share the shoes, so I could use them only when I was back home.

Anyway, I had quite a bit of free time towards the last week of the holidays, and I decided to go shopping in Dubai, in order to hunt for a surprise gift for Appa's birthday. So off I set from my aunt's house and hopped onto the Dubai Metro. I got off at Deira City Centre, feeling extremely proud of myself, for not having lost my way. (I've been in the Emirates for the past 6 years or so, but really, exploring the city on your own is a totally different issue altogether!) As I walked towards the mall, the clickety clack of the shoes was beginning to annoy me a little. I was just thinking that it would have probably been a better idea to wear my flats instead, and at the precise moment, I felt my heel sink all of a sudden to the ground...

As I bent to pick up the shoe, I saw to my horror, that the heel from the right shoe had just come off! I meddled with it for a little while, till I caught people throwing curious looks at me. When you're caught in an embarrassing situation, you feel everyone is simply staring at you. And that's when you wish you could just pull an Invisibility Cloak and just vanish... But yes, coming back to my harrowing experience, I held my head high and continued to walk into the mall, with one heel and the other safely stashed away in my bag. I must have been hopping away like a mad rabbit.

At times like this, the craziest ideas come to mind. I was reminded of a lame advertisement I had seen ages ago, where a lady is running towards a room, waving her shoe in the air for its heel had given way, just like mine had. And she sought help from a super strong adhesive, and within minutes it was as good as new. So what did I do? I hopped away on one heel to Carrefour and got a tiny super expensive tube of super strong glue. Then I hopped away to the ladies and applied glue all over the shoe and the heel. And tried to get it stuck. That's when I realized I was stuck instead. Everything else stuck, except the heel that gave me hell. Trust me, I spent nearly a quarter of an hour trying to pull my fingers away from each other!

After a few futile attempts that left me exasperated, I decided to walk without the heel. To my horror, I began to feel the nails that held the heel from beneath the shoe. And that was painful. I had had enough. So... I simply went back to Carrefour and got myself a new pair of shoes :D Ha!

Then I headed to the still -existing Borders' bookstore and got Appa a book for his birthday (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.) I had read the review for this book a couple of days ago, and was delighted to come across it. Serendipity, indeed. I had forgotten about the heel that gave me hell, for wearing new shoes is a taste of heaven indeed. But, as I reached my aunt's house, I discovered that I was in for a serious dose of severe shoe bite. Now I understand perfectly well what Moses said on Mount Sinai centuries ago, 'You shall not covet that which is not yours'.

Post Script:
Looking back at this incident, I feel like laughing, especially when I think of myself hopping away like a mad rabbit. But at that time, it was not in the least bit funny. I've become wiser hopefully- I know perfectly well not to wear heels the next time I go shopping. And talking about wisdom, that's something we gather as we grow older. So, who just celebrated her birthday a couple of days ago? *drumroll* Yes, that's right, I turned twenty the day before yesterday. Wohoo, I've existed lived on planet earth for two decades! :D I have some birthday philosophy to share, but since I'm too lazy busy, I shall leave that for my next post.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds hilarious now but must be frustrating then :) :)
    And belated happy birthday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you videotape the hopping moment? Nevertheless i`m certain it would make for an interesting share a few years down the line.

    Belated birthday wishes to you.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how it feels in that situation (for I have experienced it myself on different occasions) and can visualize how you would have hopped away like a mad rabbit haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I can just picture you hopping away on one heel :D Shoe mishaps have happened to me way too often so I know exactly what that feels like. Hope your mom wasn't too mad about her broken shoe.

    But it's true, I've always found that a great pair of shoes and a great head of hair boost the confidence like nothing else can :D So go indulge yourself girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you poor thing.. :)

    Belated happy b'day, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Purvi, sure was frustrating. I felt as if everyone was laughing at me! :/ Thank you for your wishes :)

    @AS,aah the last thing that came to mind was videotaping my agony. I'm sure others would have thought it a good idea so that they can laugh at me hopping away, every time they just needed a laugh. Hmm looking back, it was interesting indeed. Thank you for your wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Amma, the agony of wearing heels! But those shoes were so beautiful, I really didn't mind the pain :(

    @Sumitra, my mom wasn't too mad about it because that translates to an excuse to buy another pair :D And you're spot on right- high heels can really do wonders to my confidence levels! :D

    @Spiff, paavam me indeed! Thanks so much for your wishes :)

    ReplyDelete

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Heel That Gave Me Hell

When I came back home for the holidays, the first thing I noticed as I went around inspecting the changes made in my absence was a pair of absolutely elegant Marie Claire shoes, perched on the shoe shelf. Knowing only too well whose they could be, I decided to try them on- and whoa, they fit me like a glove! As soon as I tried them, Amma, who had been watching me, said 'They're MINE'. This is the problem when you have a mother whom most people mistake to be your older sister- I end up sneaking away her shoes, watches and at times, even clothes...till she realizes I've got her stuff on. This time, however, I had Appa on my side. He looked at the shoes and declared that they fit me the best- Amma, being a trifle shorter than me would need the next smaller size. Now, she definitely couldn't deny this and so, grudgingly, allowed me to use (use, not own) them.

I loved those shoes. They made me feel all grown up and professional. So, every time I went out, I would don those beautiful shoes. As I walked, listening to the clickety klack of the heels, I would actually feel important. It does seem rather shallow and superficial, but I really cannot deny that wearing those shoes gave my ego a boost. Then, as the holidays came to an end, I was presented with a dilemma- I definitely couldn't take back these shoes along with the others I had packed, so Amma and I reached a compromise- we decided to share the shoes, so I could use them only when I was back home.

Anyway, I had quite a bit of free time towards the last week of the holidays, and I decided to go shopping in Dubai, in order to hunt for a surprise gift for Appa's birthday. So off I set from my aunt's house and hopped onto the Dubai Metro. I got off at Deira City Centre, feeling extremely proud of myself, for not having lost my way. (I've been in the Emirates for the past 6 years or so, but really, exploring the city on your own is a totally different issue altogether!) As I walked towards the mall, the clickety clack of the shoes was beginning to annoy me a little. I was just thinking that it would have probably been a better idea to wear my flats instead, and at the precise moment, I felt my heel sink all of a sudden to the ground...

As I bent to pick up the shoe, I saw to my horror, that the heel from the right shoe had just come off! I meddled with it for a little while, till I caught people throwing curious looks at me. When you're caught in an embarrassing situation, you feel everyone is simply staring at you. And that's when you wish you could just pull an Invisibility Cloak and just vanish... But yes, coming back to my harrowing experience, I held my head high and continued to walk into the mall, with one heel and the other safely stashed away in my bag. I must have been hopping away like a mad rabbit.

At times like this, the craziest ideas come to mind. I was reminded of a lame advertisement I had seen ages ago, where a lady is running towards a room, waving her shoe in the air for its heel had given way, just like mine had. And she sought help from a super strong adhesive, and within minutes it was as good as new. So what did I do? I hopped away on one heel to Carrefour and got a tiny super expensive tube of super strong glue. Then I hopped away to the ladies and applied glue all over the shoe and the heel. And tried to get it stuck. That's when I realized I was stuck instead. Everything else stuck, except the heel that gave me hell. Trust me, I spent nearly a quarter of an hour trying to pull my fingers away from each other!

After a few futile attempts that left me exasperated, I decided to walk without the heel. To my horror, I began to feel the nails that held the heel from beneath the shoe. And that was painful. I had had enough. So... I simply went back to Carrefour and got myself a new pair of shoes :D Ha!

Then I headed to the still -existing Borders' bookstore and got Appa a book for his birthday (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.) I had read the review for this book a couple of days ago, and was delighted to come across it. Serendipity, indeed. I had forgotten about the heel that gave me hell, for wearing new shoes is a taste of heaven indeed. But, as I reached my aunt's house, I discovered that I was in for a serious dose of severe shoe bite. Now I understand perfectly well what Moses said on Mount Sinai centuries ago, 'You shall not covet that which is not yours'.

Post Script:
Looking back at this incident, I feel like laughing, especially when I think of myself hopping away like a mad rabbit. But at that time, it was not in the least bit funny. I've become wiser hopefully- I know perfectly well not to wear heels the next time I go shopping. And talking about wisdom, that's something we gather as we grow older. So, who just celebrated her birthday a couple of days ago? *drumroll* Yes, that's right, I turned twenty the day before yesterday. Wohoo, I've existed lived on planet earth for two decades! :D I have some birthday philosophy to share, but since I'm too lazy busy, I shall leave that for my next post.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds hilarious now but must be frustrating then :) :)
    And belated happy birthday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you videotape the hopping moment? Nevertheless i`m certain it would make for an interesting share a few years down the line.

    Belated birthday wishes to you.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how it feels in that situation (for I have experienced it myself on different occasions) and can visualize how you would have hopped away like a mad rabbit haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I can just picture you hopping away on one heel :D Shoe mishaps have happened to me way too often so I know exactly what that feels like. Hope your mom wasn't too mad about her broken shoe.

    But it's true, I've always found that a great pair of shoes and a great head of hair boost the confidence like nothing else can :D So go indulge yourself girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you poor thing.. :)

    Belated happy b'day, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Purvi, sure was frustrating. I felt as if everyone was laughing at me! :/ Thank you for your wishes :)

    @AS,aah the last thing that came to mind was videotaping my agony. I'm sure others would have thought it a good idea so that they can laugh at me hopping away, every time they just needed a laugh. Hmm looking back, it was interesting indeed. Thank you for your wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Amma, the agony of wearing heels! But those shoes were so beautiful, I really didn't mind the pain :(

    @Sumitra, my mom wasn't too mad about it because that translates to an excuse to buy another pair :D And you're spot on right- high heels can really do wonders to my confidence levels! :D

    @Spiff, paavam me indeed! Thanks so much for your wishes :)

    ReplyDelete