Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Random School Memories

This afternoon, as I was having lunch with a few friends, we were discussing plans for graduation trips. One of my friends will be graduating at the end of this semester, and she had just finished booking her trip. We discussed details and as we trudged towards the library to study for our upcoming midterm (fingers, toenails and everything else crossed), my mind drifted to Lah Lah Land and how awesome it would be to finally graduate and start a new chapter all over again. Then it struck me, that exactly three years ago, I was yearning to finish school and start on college. That triggered a number of old school memories, warming my heart and bringing a smile. So, I decided to list a few of my favourite memories from school:

Giggling with Woodhead (Not her real name of course, just something I like to call her :D) during maths classes and drawing smileys with their tongues out on our notebooks.

Debates in Geetha Ma'am's history/civics classes. Grade 10 is an important year, thanks to the All Important Board (Bored?!) Exams, and so we used to have nearly two weeks of special classes during the summer, when the rest of the school had already begun their vacations, but there were certain classes that were always fun. I always looked forward to Geetha Ma'am's lessons and I still remember one class during the summer holidays, where she encouraged us to debate on the necessity for capital punishment in India. Woodhead and I were on opposing sides, and I remember fiercely arguing with her.

Certain timely quips. For example, we were grumbling about the extra summer classes, and Shanthi ma'am, our Chemistry teacher in class 10, once told us that the next day she had no lessons, and hence would be free to sleep a little longer. To which, Woodhead quipped, 'That's right, ma'am. Only difference is you'll be sleeping at home, while we...' :P

Trying to remember the trigonometry rules using SOH-CAH-TOA.

Singing Ya Crazy Ya Lazy along with abla Sameera in the Arabic lessons.

Being told by Ann George Ma'am that she 'would tweak my ears' the next time I made the same careless mistake, hahaa! (Of course, that never really happened, not because I didn't make the same mistake again, but because Ann ma'am was far too kind!)

Inter-house and Inter-school debate competitions, with Dawne ma'am and Anu ma'am. Also, every MUN session, where we would patiently discuss issues with Winnie ma'am.

Recess breaks, where Banjo and I would discuss issues of global importance and pretend to be intellectuals. (Okay, maybe not Banjo.)

Gossiping about everything (and everyone) with Banjo and Woodhead. Girls, after all!

Vox Populi sessions. Something close to my heart since my team and I had worked quite hard to see this come to fruition.

Student Council discussions with Nambiar ma'am.

Calling Rajeswari ma'am every single time my balance sheet failed to tally.

Maths classes at home, with Rizwan sir and Banjo, where I would occasionally scare them with cups of coffee made by yours truly.

My badge. I know this sounds megalomaniacal, but still something about the shiny badge with my name printed in capital letters on it, brings a huge smile. I loved the challenges that wearing the badge brought, and shall continue to look at it with pride.

Sweet nostalgia, indeed!

Maybe, a couple of years from now, I'll be writing a similar list of favourite NUS memories? Hmm.

5 comments:

  1. School never seems to have been as bad as one used to feel while being a student... Once you are in the World out there, everything that happened in school though sepia toned, will become rosy...
    Loved to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you viji ma'am! You're absolutely correct- looking back, I do recollect certain nasty moments, but they fade away when I think of all the good times :)
      Gosh, I do miss OOEHS!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories! Few of them remind me of my school days. Can't believe it's already been 12 years since I left school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sumitra! Whoa, 12 years must seem like a long time, right? :)

      Delete
  3. Krishnaaaa i can so relate to each and every one of it:)!!!how i miss OOEHS:(!!!we had an amzing schoolin experience:)!!and for reasons you and I know each one is a beautiful memory:P

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Random School Memories

This afternoon, as I was having lunch with a few friends, we were discussing plans for graduation trips. One of my friends will be graduating at the end of this semester, and she had just finished booking her trip. We discussed details and as we trudged towards the library to study for our upcoming midterm (fingers, toenails and everything else crossed), my mind drifted to Lah Lah Land and how awesome it would be to finally graduate and start a new chapter all over again. Then it struck me, that exactly three years ago, I was yearning to finish school and start on college. That triggered a number of old school memories, warming my heart and bringing a smile. So, I decided to list a few of my favourite memories from school:

Giggling with Woodhead (Not her real name of course, just something I like to call her :D) during maths classes and drawing smileys with their tongues out on our notebooks.

Debates in Geetha Ma'am's history/civics classes. Grade 10 is an important year, thanks to the All Important Board (Bored?!) Exams, and so we used to have nearly two weeks of special classes during the summer, when the rest of the school had already begun their vacations, but there were certain classes that were always fun. I always looked forward to Geetha Ma'am's lessons and I still remember one class during the summer holidays, where she encouraged us to debate on the necessity for capital punishment in India. Woodhead and I were on opposing sides, and I remember fiercely arguing with her.

Certain timely quips. For example, we were grumbling about the extra summer classes, and Shanthi ma'am, our Chemistry teacher in class 10, once told us that the next day she had no lessons, and hence would be free to sleep a little longer. To which, Woodhead quipped, 'That's right, ma'am. Only difference is you'll be sleeping at home, while we...' :P

Trying to remember the trigonometry rules using SOH-CAH-TOA.

Singing Ya Crazy Ya Lazy along with abla Sameera in the Arabic lessons.

Being told by Ann George Ma'am that she 'would tweak my ears' the next time I made the same careless mistake, hahaa! (Of course, that never really happened, not because I didn't make the same mistake again, but because Ann ma'am was far too kind!)

Inter-house and Inter-school debate competitions, with Dawne ma'am and Anu ma'am. Also, every MUN session, where we would patiently discuss issues with Winnie ma'am.

Recess breaks, where Banjo and I would discuss issues of global importance and pretend to be intellectuals. (Okay, maybe not Banjo.)

Gossiping about everything (and everyone) with Banjo and Woodhead. Girls, after all!

Vox Populi sessions. Something close to my heart since my team and I had worked quite hard to see this come to fruition.

Student Council discussions with Nambiar ma'am.

Calling Rajeswari ma'am every single time my balance sheet failed to tally.

Maths classes at home, with Rizwan sir and Banjo, where I would occasionally scare them with cups of coffee made by yours truly.

My badge. I know this sounds megalomaniacal, but still something about the shiny badge with my name printed in capital letters on it, brings a huge smile. I loved the challenges that wearing the badge brought, and shall continue to look at it with pride.

Sweet nostalgia, indeed!

Maybe, a couple of years from now, I'll be writing a similar list of favourite NUS memories? Hmm.

5 comments:

  1. School never seems to have been as bad as one used to feel while being a student... Once you are in the World out there, everything that happened in school though sepia toned, will become rosy...
    Loved to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you viji ma'am! You're absolutely correct- looking back, I do recollect certain nasty moments, but they fade away when I think of all the good times :)
      Gosh, I do miss OOEHS!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful memories! Few of them remind me of my school days. Can't believe it's already been 12 years since I left school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sumitra! Whoa, 12 years must seem like a long time, right? :)

      Delete
  3. Krishnaaaa i can so relate to each and every one of it:)!!!how i miss OOEHS:(!!!we had an amzing schoolin experience:)!!and for reasons you and I know each one is a beautiful memory:P

    ReplyDelete