Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Contact Lens Analogy

A few days ago, my friends and I were working on a project. We spent a lot of time, simply analyzing the question, reading deep into it, trying to find if there was a hidden threat. Suffice to say, over analyzing the question and trying to answer a lot of unknowns was not very productive. If we had just gotten straight to the point, we could have saved a lot of time.As I walked back after the meeting, I realised we spend most of our time worrying about unknown things.

I was reminded of an incident, nearly three years ago, when I first began to use contact lenses. I was in a hurry to go for my lecture, so probably didn't pay much attention when I wore the lenses. After a long day, I came back and tried to remove them. The right lens was fine, but when I reached out for the left lens, it simply wasn't there! I poked my eye in horror, trying to control tears, till it was red and yet, there was no lens! Hours of frustration later, I found a shrivelled up lens, stubbornly stuck at the bottom of the mirror. Don't ask me how I couldn't have realized that I didn't wear the other lens properly. Still beats me! Anyway, this reminded me how often we go about searching for things that are simply not there, wasting a lot of time and effort in the bargain. There are simply too many unknowns in this universe- otherwise it would just be plain and life would have no excitement! Instead of worrying over what tomorrow brings and the uncertainty of things in general, one must learn to take things as they come.

A scene from a Malayalam movie that I'm rather fond of drives home the same point. The movie is a crime thriller, and the protagonist is a CBI officer who investigates into the death of a girl, supposedly killed by an evil spirit. In order to begin his investigation, Sethuraman Iyer, the officer needs to break open the fiercely guarded prayer room in the ancestral mansion, where the death occurred. The family members do not obviously like this, so they call a famous tantrik to test the officer, and hopefully scare him away. The tantrik asks him a number of questions, to which Iyer gives absolutely brilliant answers. For example, the tantrik makes a statement- The sun rises in the east. To which Iyer replies, 'No, wherever the sun rises, that is the east'. Subtle, but indeed, what a difference! At the end, Iyer tells the tantrik that if his intention is to defeat him, it wouldn't be such a difficult thing to do, because 'what we don't know is much more than what we do know'. Needless to say, the tantrik is humbled at the end.

After reminiscing about the contact lens episode, I gazed at the night sky. Another epiphany. Worrying about unknowns is like trying to count the billions of stars against the velvety darkness. Think about the vastness of the universe. I am here today. What will tomorrow bring? I don't know. There are no definite answers because nobody knows. Should learn to trust the One Above, who has everything already planned out!

Post Script
I don't know whether this post made sense, but it's been in my mind for quite some time and I simply had to write it today. I just survived my first ever all nighter, so you'll know what to blame! On a slightly cheerier note, this is my 99th post! YAY :D

8 comments:

  1. If I learnt anything out of this post - it is that one should prefer glasses to contact lenses :P.

    Jokes apart, there are too many unknowns; that's precisely why we should not stop seeking answers because that's the only way ahead but a small amount of discretion never hurt nobody did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasses > Contact lenses any day, haha!
      Yup, too many unknowns does propel us to seek answers, but things just go out of hand when we worry over things over which we have no control!
      Thanks for dropping by, AS! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with AS. This is exactly why I prefer glasses. :P

    I've stopped worrying over things and searching for answers. I've left it to fate. And God. SOmetimes, that's a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also prefer glasses, Spiff! But being the vain hypocrite that I am, I will continue to poke the lens into my eye every other day!
      It takes a lot to surrender to God, but that is always the best option at the end of the day. :) Appreciate your coming by this one, spiff!!

      Delete
  3. It's a lot like relativity for dummies. Hehe. There is never anything absolute and obsessing over the possible fallacies in any case is an exercise in futility

    Recommend Oxford Murders!
    And I may have over analyzed the post. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenton, thanks for coming by my blog! :) True, nothing is certain and obsessing over unknowns will only lead to a waste of time and energy.

      Delete
  4. Hi Krish,I remember someone saying that'Today is the Tomorrow that you were worrying about Yesterday'. Right???
    I remember both mama and I hardly slept that night as you visited the doctor trying to get the elusive lens out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice quote appa. Yeah, I did give you a scare that night, right? But I've come a long way now!

      Delete

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Contact Lens Analogy

A few days ago, my friends and I were working on a project. We spent a lot of time, simply analyzing the question, reading deep into it, trying to find if there was a hidden threat. Suffice to say, over analyzing the question and trying to answer a lot of unknowns was not very productive. If we had just gotten straight to the point, we could have saved a lot of time.As I walked back after the meeting, I realised we spend most of our time worrying about unknown things.

I was reminded of an incident, nearly three years ago, when I first began to use contact lenses. I was in a hurry to go for my lecture, so probably didn't pay much attention when I wore the lenses. After a long day, I came back and tried to remove them. The right lens was fine, but when I reached out for the left lens, it simply wasn't there! I poked my eye in horror, trying to control tears, till it was red and yet, there was no lens! Hours of frustration later, I found a shrivelled up lens, stubbornly stuck at the bottom of the mirror. Don't ask me how I couldn't have realized that I didn't wear the other lens properly. Still beats me! Anyway, this reminded me how often we go about searching for things that are simply not there, wasting a lot of time and effort in the bargain. There are simply too many unknowns in this universe- otherwise it would just be plain and life would have no excitement! Instead of worrying over what tomorrow brings and the uncertainty of things in general, one must learn to take things as they come.

A scene from a Malayalam movie that I'm rather fond of drives home the same point. The movie is a crime thriller, and the protagonist is a CBI officer who investigates into the death of a girl, supposedly killed by an evil spirit. In order to begin his investigation, Sethuraman Iyer, the officer needs to break open the fiercely guarded prayer room in the ancestral mansion, where the death occurred. The family members do not obviously like this, so they call a famous tantrik to test the officer, and hopefully scare him away. The tantrik asks him a number of questions, to which Iyer gives absolutely brilliant answers. For example, the tantrik makes a statement- The sun rises in the east. To which Iyer replies, 'No, wherever the sun rises, that is the east'. Subtle, but indeed, what a difference! At the end, Iyer tells the tantrik that if his intention is to defeat him, it wouldn't be such a difficult thing to do, because 'what we don't know is much more than what we do know'. Needless to say, the tantrik is humbled at the end.

After reminiscing about the contact lens episode, I gazed at the night sky. Another epiphany. Worrying about unknowns is like trying to count the billions of stars against the velvety darkness. Think about the vastness of the universe. I am here today. What will tomorrow bring? I don't know. There are no definite answers because nobody knows. Should learn to trust the One Above, who has everything already planned out!

Post Script
I don't know whether this post made sense, but it's been in my mind for quite some time and I simply had to write it today. I just survived my first ever all nighter, so you'll know what to blame! On a slightly cheerier note, this is my 99th post! YAY :D

8 comments:

  1. If I learnt anything out of this post - it is that one should prefer glasses to contact lenses :P.

    Jokes apart, there are too many unknowns; that's precisely why we should not stop seeking answers because that's the only way ahead but a small amount of discretion never hurt nobody did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasses > Contact lenses any day, haha!
      Yup, too many unknowns does propel us to seek answers, but things just go out of hand when we worry over things over which we have no control!
      Thanks for dropping by, AS! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with AS. This is exactly why I prefer glasses. :P

    I've stopped worrying over things and searching for answers. I've left it to fate. And God. SOmetimes, that's a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also prefer glasses, Spiff! But being the vain hypocrite that I am, I will continue to poke the lens into my eye every other day!
      It takes a lot to surrender to God, but that is always the best option at the end of the day. :) Appreciate your coming by this one, spiff!!

      Delete
  3. It's a lot like relativity for dummies. Hehe. There is never anything absolute and obsessing over the possible fallacies in any case is an exercise in futility

    Recommend Oxford Murders!
    And I may have over analyzed the post. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenton, thanks for coming by my blog! :) True, nothing is certain and obsessing over unknowns will only lead to a waste of time and energy.

      Delete
  4. Hi Krish,I remember someone saying that'Today is the Tomorrow that you were worrying about Yesterday'. Right???
    I remember both mama and I hardly slept that night as you visited the doctor trying to get the elusive lens out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice quote appa. Yeah, I did give you a scare that night, right? But I've come a long way now!

      Delete