Saturday, May 23, 2015

Henny and Penny

I still remember the cold winter day
We brought home Henny and Penny.
I had nobody with whom to play
For I was shy, friends not too many.
So I jumped at the idea of a ride
To the town market, with Appa by my side.
A routine, weekly chore,
Quite easily a bore.
But it delighted me nonetheless.
Ooty town market, with all its dirt and slush,
Bawling babies, mothers asking them to shush,
A cow regally walks down the lane
Like a queen inspecting subjects during her reign.
In the middle of the cacophony
A man unveils what he has to trade:
Tiny chickens in a cardboard box wade
Chirping, indignant at being swathed in colour;
Brightness against grey skies growing duller.
I squealed in delight
It was such a pretty sight!
And so we brought two of them home
One in pink, the other in green
Nothing like them I had ever seen.
I borrowed their names from an old tale,
They grew fast; colours began to pale.
Until one day
They went missing
Vanished into thin air!
We searched high and low
But it was all in vain.
That day I discovered
The existence of the slaughterhouse.
A part of my childhood
Died that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Henny and Penny

I still remember the cold winter day
We brought home Henny and Penny.
I had nobody with whom to play
For I was shy, friends not too many.
So I jumped at the idea of a ride
To the town market, with Appa by my side.
A routine, weekly chore,
Quite easily a bore.
But it delighted me nonetheless.
Ooty town market, with all its dirt and slush,
Bawling babies, mothers asking them to shush,
A cow regally walks down the lane
Like a queen inspecting subjects during her reign.
In the middle of the cacophony
A man unveils what he has to trade:
Tiny chickens in a cardboard box wade
Chirping, indignant at being swathed in colour;
Brightness against grey skies growing duller.
I squealed in delight
It was such a pretty sight!
And so we brought two of them home
One in pink, the other in green
Nothing like them I had ever seen.
I borrowed their names from an old tale,
They grew fast; colours began to pale.
Until one day
They went missing
Vanished into thin air!
We searched high and low
But it was all in vain.
That day I discovered
The existence of the slaughterhouse.
A part of my childhood
Died that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment