Saturday, May 9, 2015

Valparai, circa 1956

Carpets of green, mountains of mist
Granny's house - warm, sun kissed
Across the horizon, the Aanaimalai Hills beckon
Broken necklace adorning the Deccan.
Granny sits out, relaxing in the lawns
A black Labrador rolls over and yawns.
Fiercely protective, he sits at her feet,
Growling at the cat, awaiting the fishmonger's treat.
Near Rotti Kadai, tiny shop supplying bread,
The faithful built a shrine in an old shed
Dedicated to Vanathu Chinnapar, the Hermit St Paul
Protector, Guardian of all.
Darkness spreads, the glorious sun sinks
And Hosanna is sung to the King of Kings.

I've been thinking a bit too much about Valparai these past few days. Valparai is a tiny hill station on the Western Ghats of southern India, where my dad spent his childhood. I've visited only once, but it has left a strong impression in my mind's eye, and I do hope I get to go there again. The photograph on the right inspired me to write this piece. The beautiful lady in the photo is my dear granny, Krishnaveni, after whom I am named, and whom I sadly never got to know in this life. The black Labrador was called Jackie, and he was fiercely protective of granny. His rival, a ginger cat called Tojo, is not to be seen in the photo; in all possibility, he might have been perking his ears, waiting  to hear the fishmonger's bicycle bell.



2 comments:

  1. And I have such vivid memories of Valparai, where I was born and brought up till the age of eight! Plus the anecdotes that Dad shares even today. Your grandpa and grandma figure do in those memories... :)
    Well written and keep writing... 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty Asha, thank you so much for reading! It does mean a lot to me. :)
    Valparai is a lovely place. Appa speaks so fondly of it. I wish I could go back there in time.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Valparai, circa 1956

Carpets of green, mountains of mist
Granny's house - warm, sun kissed
Across the horizon, the Aanaimalai Hills beckon
Broken necklace adorning the Deccan.
Granny sits out, relaxing in the lawns
A black Labrador rolls over and yawns.
Fiercely protective, he sits at her feet,
Growling at the cat, awaiting the fishmonger's treat.
Near Rotti Kadai, tiny shop supplying bread,
The faithful built a shrine in an old shed
Dedicated to Vanathu Chinnapar, the Hermit St Paul
Protector, Guardian of all.
Darkness spreads, the glorious sun sinks
And Hosanna is sung to the King of Kings.

I've been thinking a bit too much about Valparai these past few days. Valparai is a tiny hill station on the Western Ghats of southern India, where my dad spent his childhood. I've visited only once, but it has left a strong impression in my mind's eye, and I do hope I get to go there again. The photograph on the right inspired me to write this piece. The beautiful lady in the photo is my dear granny, Krishnaveni, after whom I am named, and whom I sadly never got to know in this life. The black Labrador was called Jackie, and he was fiercely protective of granny. His rival, a ginger cat called Tojo, is not to be seen in the photo; in all possibility, he might have been perking his ears, waiting  to hear the fishmonger's bicycle bell.



2 comments:

  1. And I have such vivid memories of Valparai, where I was born and brought up till the age of eight! Plus the anecdotes that Dad shares even today. Your grandpa and grandma figure do in those memories... :)
    Well written and keep writing... 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty Asha, thank you so much for reading! It does mean a lot to me. :)
    Valparai is a lovely place. Appa speaks so fondly of it. I wish I could go back there in time.

    ReplyDelete